Re: [multimachine] dfm/energy/o80405//00:35

  • erikc
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
      Is there a link to this story or is it just hearsay?

      DennisF MacIntyre wrote:
      > Dear Pat
      > Here is potential for energy in the third world and elsewhere in the future.

      In todays The Tribune (Welland , Ontario) A young 15 yr old finds a
      better way to

      create energy from cow manure. A chap named Llew Falla , from Sarnia,
      a science

      fair whiz is what they call him.They call it CH4 optimization of
      bio-waste via microbial

      fuel cell control. On a lighter side they mention the project is
      full of crap, but

      who's to judge?
      > The Fair is in Atlanta, Ga., (acronym ISEF) and he produces electricity and methane

      gas. He, apparently has found a better way to break down cow poop
      using a microbial

      fuel cell to produce clean usable electricity and methane.
      > It says the hydrogen and the ions in the poop react with water. This generates

      electricity and the afore mentioned gas.They then trap the gas and
      store it separately.

      This young man says that while doing his experimenting they had a
      poop explosion.

      It apparently was all over the place.
      > Perhaps down the road this sort of biotechnology will be set up in developing

      countries by aid organizations to power motors and engines to run
      multimachines

      and related equipment.
      > We need more people developing energy from waste products. A few years ago

      their was a people poop palatalization (say that three times quickly)
      operation

      in or around the city of Toronto, Ontario Canada that kept catching
      fire and they

      labelled it a lemon and scrapped it instead of making lemonade. It
      would be nice

      if this young fellow's process could be put to use here even without
      lemons.

      --
      "It may be that the old astrologers had the truth
      exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
        erikc wrote:

        > Has anybody ever considered cannabis (hemp) as a possible biodiesel
        > source.

        Oh yeah, and I can imagine people hanging around the exhaust...

        Paul
      • erikc
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
          Paul wrote:
          > erikc wrote:
          >
          >> Has anybody ever considered cannabis (hemp) as a possible biodiesel
          >> source.
          >
          > Oh yeah, and I can imagine people hanging around the exhaust...
          >
          > Paul

          It doesn't work that way. And before you dismiss the idea out of
          hand, (like some people have done with the multimachine), do some
          research. You'll discover that hemp grown for biodiesel is utterly
          useless for getting high off of.

          erikc
        • Michael Shirley
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
            On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 06:02:07 -0700, erikc <firewevr@...> wrote:

            > Has anybody ever considered cannabis (hemp) as a possible biodiesel
            > source. The plant grows like crazy in even poor soils unsuited for
            > any other kind of agriculture, and every part of the plant is good for
            > something. In particular, the seeds are rich in an oil that can be
            > easily converted to biodiesel (and also used for human/animal
            > nutrition). In temperate or equatorial regions, one can get 3 or 4
            > crops per year with a yield of something like 15 tonnes of seeds per
            > hectare.
            >
            > Unfortunately, this plant also carries a stigma - people like to smoke
            > it therefore it is (currently) illegal.

            There are strains that have next to no THC in them. DEA treats
            em all the same though.

            That said, how many pounds of seeds are needed to produce a gallon
            of Biodiesel?

            "Four Horsemen appeared on the horizon, and the wind, began, to howl."
          • William Dysinger
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
              Well, like I say, I received this info via the yahoo group "multi-machine". I will verify with sender where they got the info.
              William, the tinkerer

              DennisF MacIntyre wrote:
              > Dear Pat
              > Here is potential for energy in the third world and elsewhere in the future.

              In todays The Tribune (Welland , Ontario) A young 15 yr old finds a
              better way to

              create energy from cow manure. A chap named Llew Falla , from Sarnia,
              a science

              fair whiz is what they call him.They call it CH4 optimization of
              bio-waste via microbial

              fuel cell control. On a lighter side they mention the project is
              full of crap, but

              who's to judge?
              > The Fair is in Atlanta, Ga., (acronym ISEF) and he produces electricity and methane

              gas. He, apparently has found a better way to break down cow poop
              using a microbial

              fuel cell to produce clean usable electricity and methane.
              > It says the hydrogen and the ions in the poop react with water. This generates

              electricity and the afore mentioned gas.They then trap the gas and
              store it separately.

              This young man says that while doing his experimenting they had a
              poop explosion.

              It apparently was all over the place.
              > Perhaps down the road this sort of biotechnology will be set up in developing

              countries by aid organizations to power motors and engines to run
              multimachines

              and related equipment.
              > We need more people developing energy from waste products. A few years ago

              their was a people poop palatalization (say that three times quickly)
              operation

              in or around the city of Toronto, Ontario Canada that kept catching
              fire and they

              labelled it a lemon and scrapped it instead of making lemonade. It
              would be nice

              if this young fellow's process could be put to use here even without
              lemons.

              > keep smiling
              > dennis mac
              snip
            • filmaker0012001
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                There is a group known as "Vote Hemp" that are trying to get states to
                allow farmers to grow Industrial Hemp, but apperently the Feds and the
                DEA say; A hemp plant is a hemp plant, no matter how little THC it has.
                I'm sure that this would be just one of its uses.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2008
                    Michael Shirley wrote:
                    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 06:02:07 -0700, erikc <firewevr@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Has anybody ever considered cannabis (hemp) as a possible biodiesel
                    >> source. The plant grows like crazy in even poor soils unsuited for
                    >> any other kind of agriculture, and every part of the plant is good for
                    >> something. In particular, the seeds are rich in an oil that can be
                    >> easily converted to biodiesel (and also used for human/animal
                    >> nutrition). In temperate or equatorial regions, one can get 3 or 4
                    >> crops per year with a yield of something like 15 tonnes of seeds per
                    >> hectare.
                    >>
                    >> Unfortunately, this plant also carries a stigma - people like to smoke
                    >> it therefore it is (currently) illegal.
                    >
                    > There are strains that have next to no THC in them. DEA treats
                    > em all the same though.
                    >
                    > That said, how many pounds of seeds are needed to produce a gallon
                    > of Biodiesel?

                    The seeds are about 50% oil, so figure twice whatever a gallon of oil
                    weighs.

                    What is left over after the oil is expressed is suitable food for both
                    humans and animals being mostly high grade protein.

                    DEA and government attitude towards hemp is more like a religion
                    (think Spanish inquisition) than genuine law enforcement.

                    erikc
                  • a1g2r3i
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
                      o80406//08:52 Sunday - Pardon - I do not know how to enter links -
                      just search isef Llew Falla I just did and it took me to the
                      Sarnia observer where you may read the article yourself.

                      dennis mac

                    • o1bigtenor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
                        On 4/5/08, erikc <firewevr@...> wrote:
                        Has anybody ever considered cannabis (hemp) as a possible biodiesel
                        source.  The plant grows like crazy in even poor soils unsuited for
                        any other kind of agriculture, and every part of the plant is good for
                        something.  In particular, the seeds are rich in an oil that can be
                        easily converted to biodiesel (and also used for human/animal
                        nutrition).  In temperate or equatorial regions, one can get 3 or 4
                        crops per year with a yield of something like 15 tonnes of seeds per
                        hectare.

                        For the production of cellulosic ethanol sure - bio-diesel - quite a different matter!

                      • o1bigtenor
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
                          On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM, erikc <firewevr@...> wrote:
                          Michael Shirley wrote:
                          > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 06:02:07 -0700, erikc <firewevr@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Has anybody ever considered cannabis (hemp) as a possible biodiesel
                          >> source.  The plant grows like crazy in even poor soils unsuited for
                          >> any other kind of agriculture, and every part of the plant is good for
                          >> something.  In particular, the seeds are rich in an oil that can be
                          >> easily converted to biodiesel (and also used for human/animal
                          >> nutrition).  In temperate or equatorial regions, one can get 3 or 4
                          >> crops per year with a yield of something like 15 tonnes of seeds per
                          >> hectare.
                          >>
                          >> Unfortunately, this plant also carries a stigma - people like to smoke
                          >> it therefore it is (currently) illegal.
                          >
                          >       There are strains that have next to no THC in them. DEA treats
                          > em all the same though.
                          >
                          >       That said, how many pounds of seeds are needed to produce a gallon
                          > of Biodiesel?

                          The seeds are about 50% oil, so figure twice whatever a gallon of oil
                          weighs.

                          What is left over after the oil is expressed is suitable food for both
                          humans and animals being mostly high grade protein.

                          OK then you could use it to produce both and I do believe that there would be more ethanol produced as hemp is a prolific biomass producer (and not quite so good at tonnes of seed per unit area!).

                        • Scott Copeland
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                            I have some experience with DEA. I know some of the
                            concerns are politically motivated, others are more
                            practical. A pot plant will still look like a pot
                            plant. DEA looks for plants mostly from the sky. It
                            is very easy to determine the difference between corn
                            and pot. How do you keep people out of it if it still
                            can be used as a drug?

                            I have some other concerns about using a "food source"
                            as a "fuel source". Look what's going on here in the
                            US now. Food prices are skyrocketing because 1. fuel
                            is expensive and 2. every farmer I know is planting
                            "fuel" crops and not food. I was reading the other
                            day that even if the US converted all of their crops
                            to fuel, it would still be less than 10% of the total
                            use per year. That doesn't include the issues of
                            having to import all food crops from somewhere else.

                            I'd love to see a good energy solution. I do think
                            some kind of hybred electric makes great sense. I've
                            even researched ways to convert my classic Pontiac
                            (yeah, I can afford that)...but its fun to look.

                            Being an electrical engineer, I have worked on a few
                            projects around here to minimize my electric bill.
                            One of which is why I'm in this group. I have several
                            solar cells on the roof of my office. Instead of
                            using the typical battery, DC/AC conversion, I'm using
                            a switched system. I'm not trying to eliminate my
                            need for the grid, just minimize it.

                            I still have my AC sources that power quite a bit of
                            things (PC's, heat pump, etc). I did wire 12VDC,
                            24VDC and 45VDC line directly into my office. I have
                            these switched between the solar cells (using huge
                            capacitors and more circuit to cover the fluxuations
                            coming directly from the solar panels. I have a small
                            microcontroller that watches the current and when it
                            sees the source not meeting the needs, it starts
                            switching loads over to the grid (an AC/DC power
                            supply). If the outside line power fails, I have a
                            UPS wired into the system(still grid powered for now,
                            but I'm working on it).

                            I power virtually all of my electronic projects from
                            this source and it works very well. Am I saving
                            anything? I don't have any real idea yet. I started
                            this for fun as a geek way to start playing with solar
                            panels. However, I have never liked the idea of using
                            expensive, non-ecofriendly batteries and switching
                            from DC to AC and back to DC again.

                            My next goal is to develop (as I learn from everyone
                            here) a PCB assembly system that I can run from the
                            same power source. We already have all of the
                            technology in place (stepper controllers, pickup/place
                            systems). I'm working with an ME friend of mine to
                            design the table and head assembly now.

                            Anyway, that's my ramblings and 2 cents on the
                            subject.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                              Sorry about that, I was intending to send that to the
                              group and missed my click.