Re: [multimachine] Re: Weldernator project

  • Bill F
    Message 1 of 78 , Mar 6, 2008

      Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [multimachine] Re: Weldernator project

      Thanks Jason

      I think this is what people were trying to say. I
      don't know why but I had trouble explaining this.

      Pat

      --- Jason Laughon <jasonlawn76@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      > Why wouldn't you just flip the alternator end to
      > end? Instead of the pulleys facing the same
      > direction, have them face the opposite direction.
      > (On second thought..That seems too simple, I must
      > have missed part of the question.)
      >
      > Jason G Laughon

      color:#628c2a; font-size: 85%;font- weight:bold; line-height: 122%;margin: 10px
      > 0px;}
      > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
      > margin-bottom: 10px;}
      > #ygrp-mkp .ad{
      > padding:0 0;}
      > #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
      > color:#0000ff; text-decoration: none;}
      > -->
      >
      > <!--
      >
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
      > font-family: Arial;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
      > margin:10px

      0px;font-weight: bold;font- size:78%; line-height: 122%;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
      > margin-bottom: 10px;padding: 0 0;}
      > -->
      >
      > <!--
      >
      > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial,
      > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
      > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
      > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
      > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}
      > #ygrp-text{
      > font-family: Georgia;
      > }
      > #ygrp-text p{
      > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
      > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
      > font-family: Arial;
      > clear:both;}
      > #ygrp-vitnav{

      padding-top: 10px;font- family:Verdana; font-size: 77%;margin: 0;}
      > #ygrp-vitnav a{
      > padding:0 1px;}
      > #ygrp-actbar{
      > clear:both;margin: 25px
      > 0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
      > #ygrp-actbar .left{
      > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
      > .bld{font-weight: bold;}
      > #ygrp-grft{
      > #ygrp-ft{
      > font-family: verdana;font- size:77%; border-top: 1px
      > solid #666;
      > padding:5px 0;
      > }
      > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      > padding-bottom: 10px;}
      >
      > #ygrp-vital{

      background-color: #e0ecee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:2px
      > 0 8px 8px;}
      > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

      font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
      > #ygrp-vital ul{
      > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul li{
      > list-style-type: none;clear: both;border: 1px solid
      > #e0ecee;
      > }
      > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

      font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
      > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      > font-weight: bold;}
      > #ygrp-vital a{
      > text-decoration: none;}
      >
      > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      > text-decoration: underline; }
      >
      > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      > color:#999;font- size:77%; }
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      > padding:6px
      > 13px;background- color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
      > background-color: #eee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:0
      > 8px;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      > padding:8px 0;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

      font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      > text-decoration: none;}
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      > text-decoration: underline; }
      > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      > margin:0;}
      > o{font-size: 0;}
      > .MsoNormal{
      > margin:0 0 0 0;}
      > #ygrp-text tt{
      > font-size:120% ;}
      > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
      > .replbq{margin: 4;}
      > -->

      === message truncated ===

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

      Message 78 of 78 , Apr 27, 2008
        Lance wrote:
        >> Also if you have no type of regulator in the output you
        >> need a reactor 6mH in series
        >
        > I don't understand this.
        > Why would I regulate the output and what is a 6mH?

        With an unregulated output, you won't ever get a good weld.

        A 6 millihenry choke is an inductor (figure wire would around a steel
        core) which makes the arc much more stable. When the current starts to
        drop, the inductor puts more voltage across the arc to keep it going.
        > I was to understand that output amps were regulated by applied field amps?

        Partially. Both output voltage and current are affected by field current.

        > Is this incorrect?

        Yes, a stick welder wants a constant current source, an alternator is
        not constant current or constant voltage.

        --
        David G. LeVine
        Nashua, NH 03060