Weldernator project

  • Lance
    Message 1 of 78 , Mar 3, 2008
      For All,

      I have obtained all the parts needed to make a
      cheap stick weldernator. However, my 2 HP motor
      turns CCW and the alternator is to turn CW.

      Any thoughts an how to connect them?
      How do I reverse the motor's direction of spin?

      It's been suggested to use a chain and sprocket
      or worm drive rather than belts to drive the alternator
      to reduce slippage loss. Any thoughts on how to do this?

      Also, I fixed my MIG and the pipe Cole-ish drill press is
      welded and almost complete. Pics and tests to come.

      lance
      +++++
      Message 78 of 78 , Apr 27, 2008
        Lance wrote:
        >> Also if you have no type of regulator in the output you
        >> need a reactor 6mH in series
        >
        > I don't understand this.
        > Why would I regulate the output and what is a 6mH?

        With an unregulated output, you won't ever get a good weld.

        A 6 millihenry choke is an inductor (figure wire would around a steel
        core) which makes the arc much more stable. When the current starts to
        drop, the inductor puts more voltage across the arc to keep it going.
        > I was to understand that output amps were regulated by applied field amps?

        Partially. Both output voltage and current are affected by field current.

        > Is this incorrect?

        Yes, a stick welder wants a constant current source, an alternator is
        not constant current or constant voltage.

        --
        David G. LeVine
        Nashua, NH 03060