Re: [multimachine] Re: Vertical Lathe

    Message 1 of 78 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hello Costas
      I need a machine to make some good size parts on.
       Some are 275mm square and 40mm thick, with a 100mm bore.

       HRS A-36 is the common description for Hot Rolled Steel in the USA.
       It is the steel with the black coating on it.
      Keith
      cvlac <cvlac0@...> wrote:
      Ok boys,I admit that the machine that you want to build ,depends of
      the work to do.But I insist, that vertical lathes are used to machine
      heavy blocks of steel, or very large things .And of course larger than
      10".up to 10-12 " you can work easily with the MM.After that you have
      an other problem to solve.You can't find in the market so easily , big
      and very heavy pieces of steel to work in a vertical machine.Generally
      this is done by professionists that have their small or big foundry in
      shop and are able to cast large steel works.
      An other question for Keith:what is the HRS A-36 ?
      Good morning from Rodos.
      Costas

      --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, keith gutshall <drpshops@.. .> wrote:

      > Hello Costas
      > I do not see it any harder that the MM assembly.
      > Any time you set up a machine when you assemble it error are
      going to show up.
      > When you start to put parts on the block if you did not check the
      assembly it may not be square.
      > I have some HRS A-36 it varies .007 undersize to .022 oversize.
      That much is going to greatly effect the accuracy of the machine
      somewhere.
      > Keith
      >

      > cvlac <cvlac0@...> wrote:
      > Hi Keith
      > I don't understand the purpose to make this arrangement. Vertical
      > lathes generally are used to machine very heavy works , not very long,
      > and over 500 Kg.Most of them , they have the cutting tool turning
      > around the work,and the only adjustment to do, is to center the work
      > to a big circular plate in a way to avoid to cut too much material
      > when centering the work.
      > By doing this MM setup, you loose the big MM advantage of the
      > perpendicularity of the spindle and the slide.So you have to be faced
      > to a big series of adjustment works like Rick .
      > Costas
      >
      > --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, "drpshops" <drpshops@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Pat
      > > You have been asking about a machine to turn large stuff?
      > > How about a vertical lathe?
      > > I worked in a shop and they had a verticial machine that turned
      > > 30 in dia. parts.
      > > The engine block would form the upright column, with the the ways
      > > bolted to it.
      > > The spindle could be made from a auto spindle, with the chuck bolted
      > > where the wheel normally at. You could use a 10-12 in chuck on it.
      > > I have not worked the details out,but it concept I have been kicking
      > > around.
      > > Keith
      > >

      > Deep Run Portage
      > Back Shop
      > " The Lizard Works"
      >
      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      Try it now.

      Message 78 of 78 , Apr 27, 2008
        Lance wrote:
        >> Also if you have no type of regulator in the output you
        >> need a reactor 6mH in series
        >
        > I don't understand this.
        > Why would I regulate the output and what is a 6mH?

        With an unregulated output, you won't ever get a good weld.

        A 6 millihenry choke is an inductor (figure wire would around a steel
        core) which makes the arc much more stable. When the current starts to
        drop, the inductor puts more voltage across the arc to keep it going.
        > I was to understand that output amps were regulated by applied field amps?

        Partially. Both output voltage and current are affected by field current.

        > Is this incorrect?

        Yes, a stick welder wants a constant current source, an alternator is
        not constant current or constant voltage.

        --
        David G. LeVine
        Nashua, NH 03060