Re: [multimachine] P1010186.JPG trail train trikes

  • William Dysinger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
      Good Idea Robert! I have been unable to ride my mountain bike since a lady crashed into me a couple years ago. I think it's the medications. I just can't balance well enough. The conventional 3-wheeler bikes cost too much but you have just provided me with a way to do it with axle I already have on the property!  Is the set up in the picture single speed? Did you restore brakes to the back?
      Thanks so much!
      william, the tinkerer

      On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 20:47 -0500, Airship2@... wrote:
      I am trying to post some photos of my Trail Train Trikes.

      Robert W Logsdon
      Collinsville, IL

    • Airship2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        In a message dated 2/1/2008 10:32:26 AM Central Standard Time, tinkerbill@... writes:
        Trail Train Trikes.
            I am retired and on fixed income, but I have access to a lot of junk. I usually use an old bendix coaster brake as a double reduction unit to get the correct gear ratio to get the speed up to make up for the smaller wheelbarrow tires. I use the wheelbarrow tires because they are cheap and strong and small enough to allow for very sharp turns with the pivot point and weight of the trailer a little in front of the rear axle. I remove the spokes from the coaster brake and bolt a sprocket to the left side lining up with the sprocket on the riding lawn mower rear axle. This way you can mount the coaster brake in the original ladies bike frame and have enough options to gear it any way you want to.
             I have a set of tractor tires if I want a real slow powerful pulling bike, but since all of our trails are paved and very gentle slopes, I have found that a fast walking speed is pretty easy to pedal and still cover quite a bit of trail. I have found a few 3-speed coaster brakes which I have used and I have a freewheel no brake on my 4 year old grandsons 20 inch bike because he likes to "lock em up and slide the wheel" at the most unexpected times.
            I have kept the ladies bake frames completely stock with a 1 inch bent pipe going up through the steering head so that any stock set of handlebars can be used and by steering one way or the other the rider can help maneuver a little though barriers found on the trail or help around a corner.
        RWL in SW IL