Re: Steam turbine generator

  • ngazil
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
      I saw a show recently on TV (Invention Nation) which covered some
      developments in wind and water power and also concentrated solar. If
      you have water and some drop, the 'home scale' hydro power system
      seemed quite usable, compact and sized for home use with a couple of
      kilowatt output.

      references Jerry Ostermeier inventor of Micro Hydro Generator
      Larry Winiarski inventor of Aquaflector

      I did not record the show with the wind power stuff so I have no
      references to that - sorry.

      Please post your progress and rationale for your choices, others will
      surely find that of interest.

      Good luck

      KC
    • a1g2r3i
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
        Dear HM
        You might find these below sites interesting.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_thermal_energy

        http://people.linux-gull.ch/rossen/solar/wcengine.html

        "Below site uses mirrors to store energy in molten salt:"
        http://www.sandia.gov/Renewable_Energy/solarthermal/NSTTF/index2.htm

        "Solar dish concentrator with a molten salt receiver incorporating
        thermal energy storage:"
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_change_material

        "Here is a low-tech steam-storage device (Steam accumulator):"
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_accumulator

        All of the above sites were sent to me after I sent an email to the
        multimachine site about a site I saw on T.V. which I believe was
        situated in Israel, where-in sun-light was reflected on a container of
        a salt solution and would collect enough heat to make steam around the
        clock and I also believe for a few dull days as well.
        dennis mac

        In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "hardmaster321" <fpmoolman@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I have just purchased some land and am looking for ways of running a
        > workshop (single phase) without getting onto the power grid. It is a
        > rural area so it would be nice to do so quietly. I have access to a
        > lot of free wood and am considering the following options:
        >
        > 1: Purchase and rebuild an old diesel powered generator. Possibly run
        > it on ethanol
        > 2: Somehow find and rebuild an antique stem engine and use it to
        > power a generator
        > 3: Build a steam generator. This seems doable. Is it? This is the
        > very informative wikipedia link:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine
        >
        > Im pretty good with my hands and have a pretty good workshop. PS: I
        > converted my homebuilt disc sander to lathe by building a chisel
        > rest. Now I can turn big diameter stuff. :)
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > HM

      • Darwin Wandler
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
          I saw a book by Merrick Lockwood "HOW I BUILT A 5HP STIRLING
          ENGINE" to run a generator for electricity in Asia. Since steam isn't
          involved it is so much safer. And, it uses air at atmosphere so no complex
          seals and pressure chambers. He just made it bigger to run on waste rice
          husks and give constant power. If I remember right it governed at 220 rpm.
          Safe and easy solution over steam, with very few parts.
          http://www.starspin.com/stirlings/jimd6.html
          This site has a neat system a guy off the grid built 2.5HP
          Darwin

        • ubergeek72@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
            May I also recommend "Home Power" the magazine?
            All kinds of info on renewable energy for home electrical power.

            http://www.homepower.com/

            I used to subscribe.

            -Jim Strickland
            jim@...
            --------------------
            Ask me about my novel. :)
            Or visit http://www.jamesrstrickland.com

            On Dec 1, 2007, at 7:09 PM, ngazil wrote:

            > I saw a show recently on TV (Invention Nation) which covered some
            > developments in wind and water power and also concentrated solar. If
            > you have water and some drop, the 'home scale' hydro power system
            > seemed quite usable, compact and sized for home use with a couple of
            > kilowatt output.
            >
            > references Jerry Ostermeier inventor of Micro Hydro Generator
            > Larry Winiarski inventor of Aquaflector
            >
            > I did not record the show with the wind power stuff so I have no
            > references to that - sorry.
            >
            > Please post your progress and rationale for your choices, others will
            > surely find that of interest.
            >
            > Good luck
            >
            > KC

          • hardmaster321
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
              I thought you guys were optimists like me! Just joking :). I have
              indeed found 2 diesel powered generators that I am considering. I will
              check out the other links too. Thanx guys!!!

              I met a guy by chance the other day who told me about some old steam
              locomotives that are being sold as scrap. I will go have a look at what
              they have got.

              In building the generator, I thought one could use an old engine block
              (what else!) as a turbine chamber by metal-spinning a cone from
              stainless steel and inserting & filling the gaps up with concrete..

              Anyhow, will keep you posted.

              Many thanx!!
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                you steam guys are too tough for me!

                Pat

                wrote:

                > I thought you guys were optimists like me! Just joking :). I have
                > indeed found 2 diesel powered generators that I am considering. I will
                > check out the other links too. Thanx guys!!!
                >
                > I met a guy by chance the other day who told me about some old steam
                > locomotives that are being sold as scrap. I will go have a look at what
                > they have got.
                >
                > In building the generator, I thought one could use an old engine block
                > (what else!) as a turbine chamber by metal-spinning a cone from
                > stainless steel and inserting & filling the gaps up with concrete..
                >
                > Anyhow, will keep you posted.
                >
                > Many thanx!!

              • tim kennedy
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                  actual steam turbines use pressure sections and each
                  section has a series of diaphrams.there is a
                  corresponding row of blades on the rotor for each
                  diaphram.smallest diaphram on these units weigh well
                  over a 1000 pounds just for the half section.
                  but then this is a large unit.
                  ford had a power plant in his mansion,but i think it
                  was all hydro powered.i guess later it flooded out and
                  is no longer working.

                  --- Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

                  > you steam guys are too tough for me!
                  >
                  > Pat
                  >
                  > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "hardmaster321"
                  > <fpmoolman@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I thought you guys were optimists like me! Just
                  > joking :). I have
                  > > indeed found 2 diesel powered generators that I am
                  > considering. I will
                  > > check out the other links too. Thanx guys!!!
                  > >
                  > > I met a guy by chance the other day who told me
                  > about some old steam
                  > > locomotives that are being sold as scrap. I will
                  > go have a look at what
                  > > they have got.
                  > >
                  > > In building the generator, I thought one could use
                  > an old engine block
                  > > (what else!) as a turbine chamber by
                  > metal-spinning a cone from
                  > > stainless steel and inserting & filling the gaps
                  > up with concrete..
                  > >
                  > > Anyhow, will keep you posted.
                  > >
                  > > Many thanx!!

                • jacques savard
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                    AND like I tel you before it need a lot of water to fefresh it

                    here in quebec city we have a very ols instaalation for yard ship from 1889
                    and the electric power come from dc generator and steam

                    but not able to use it out of hight tale : here the tale are about 27 footh
                    that is lot of problem to pump the water for the turbine when the tale is
                    low
                    taht meen we have to operated from mid tale to hight and again mid
                    after taht no way to pump water from 27 feeth

                    the turbine is very little about 1.5 feeth in diameter but dc generator is
                    very efficient we have 3 big compound motor about 8 footh higt and 30 footh
                    in diameter on 4 footh inpeller pump to emty the yard about 50 footh hight
                    and 75 footh large for more then 1000 long aver 1,000,000 gallon in about
                    6 hour

                    lot of water to refresh all that

                    jack 47'n 71'o

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Hello Pat
                       This Mr. hardmaster321 , is going to build a steam turbine with an engine block?
                       I would like to see the photos of it when he gets done.
                       I seen some interesting machnes made from engine blocks.
                       Keith

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                        At 10:56 PM 12/1/2007, you wrote:
                        I saw a book by Merrick Lockwood "HOW I BUILT A 5HP STIRLING
                        ENGINE" to run a generator for electricity in Asia. Since steam isn't
                        involved it is so much safer. And, it uses air at atmosphere so no complex
                        seals and pressure chambers. He just made it bigger to run on waste rice
                        husks and give constant power. If I remember right it governed at 220 rpm.
                        Safe and easy solution over steam, with very few parts.
                        http://www.starspin.com/stirlings/jimd6.html
                        This site has a neat system a guy off the grid built 2.5HP
                        Darwin

                        That sounds like a much better choice than steam if native fuels other than rice husks are suitable.

                        David G. LeVine
                        Nashua, NH  03060

                      • Darwin Wandler
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Yes Dave it can burn anything it just so happens they have an abundance of
                          waste rice husks. So much better than steam. However, chicken and egg.
                          You could use the MM to build one but need power to run MM so need
                          generator too.... you get the idea...
                          Darwin

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 2, 2007
                            At 10:10 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:
                            >However, chicken and egg. You could use the MM to build one but
                            >need power to run MM so need generator too.... you get the idea...

                            Well, a small single cylinder engine would give power in the short
                            term, then go for the Stirling and get rid of (or sell) the one lunger.

                            David G. LeVine
                            Nashua, NH 03060
                          • Donald H Locker
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
                              One of the problems with Stirling engines is that it is hard to build one that
                              will operate at high pressures, and low pressure engines are very large.
                              Efficient in their ability to convert chemical to mechanical energy, but
                              generating much power requires a _very_large_ unit. IIRC.

                              Donald.

                              David G. LeVine wrote:
                              > At 10:56 PM 12/1/2007, you wrote:
                              >> I saw a book by Merrick Lockwood "HOW I BUILT A 5HP STIRLING
                              >> ENGINE" to run a generator for electricity in Asia. Since steam isn't
                              >> involved it is so much safer. And, it uses air at atmosphere so no
                              >> complex
                              >> seals and pressure chambers. He just made it bigger to run on waste rice
                              >> husks and give constant power. If I remember right it governed at 220
                              >> rpm.
                              >> Safe and easy solution over steam, with very few parts.
                              >> <http://www.starspin.com/stirlings/jimd6.html>http://www.starspin.com/stirlings/jimd6.html
                              >>
                              >> This site has a neat system a guy off the grid built 2.5HP
                              >> Darwin
                              >
                              > That sounds like a much better choice than steam if native fuels other
                              > than rice husks are suitable.
                              >

                              > David G. LeVine
                              > Nashua, NH 03060

                            • hardmaster321
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                OK, my turn again. :)

                                I have decided to ditch the idea of a turbine. Just from an efficiency
                                point of view, one would basically have to do one big burn per week.
                                That will basically require a whole bunch of batteries, which is fairly
                                prohibitive in South Africa. Also, the pressure and heat involved is
                                just too much. Mind you, if it could be built in 1885...

                                Anyway, what I plan to do is to rebuild one of the 2 Diesel generators
                                that I have found and work with that in the meantime. Basically I will
                                only be using one of my workshop machines at any given time and none of
                                them are over 2.5 Kw. In the meantime I am planning to build myself a
                                Stirling. I will also look at the other engines you guys have mentioned.

                                All of this will be augmented with solar power and gas and a very
                                simple sunlight stove.

                                I was training some Nigerian artisans the other day (Root cause failure
                                techniques). They are known for their ingenuity and were all very
                                interested in the multimachine and in alternative power sources. They
                                directed me to the site www.afrigadget.com. Some very cool stuff there!

                                Thanx for all the info! I will certainly have a look at it all when I
                                at last get some time

                                Regards

                                HM
                              • Ian Newman
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                  Why is it necessary to generate electricity if it is
                                  only to be used to drive a rotating machine?

                                  Wouldn't it be better to couple a small ic engine
                                  directly to the machine?

                                  Even the largest of the MM implementations only
                                  require a few HP to drive them and this could be
                                  provided by a small motorbike or moped motor. Such a
                                  motor would already have a clutch and a useful gearbox
                                  plus a sprocket for chain drive to the machine.

                                  It seems rather inefficient to run a rotary machine,
                                  generate electricity, then convert that electricity
                                  into rotating motion, with inefficiencies in every
                                  stage.

                                  Ian.

                                  Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 6, 2007
                                    I am in total agreement with Ian. The MM is meant to be a simple
                                    machine to help people make money. A little gas is just a cost of
                                    doing business.

                                    pat