Re: [multimachine] Re: Special tools

    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hello Donald
      I am not  claiming the better of any measure.
       But to get an accurate leadscrew for the MM these  parts work correct for the needed application.
       A 10 TPI screw and a 100 division dial gives 0.001 per division.
       It is the same set up that is on the mill/drill table that I have, Pat has one just like it on his machine. The same set up is used in most of the machines that are out there.
       To make an 100 division dial is not an easy job. Yes you do need a standard to make the dial.
       I have a 200 tooth 10 in saw blade that I am going to use as a standard to make the dial I need. Just use everyother tooth and I should get an accurate dial.
       With The 200 tooth wheel,useing every tooth. it is possible to get a dial .0005th with it.
       Of course the dial would have to be a large diameter to do this.
        I not saying that other part would not work fine,but these part are easy to get and work with.
       Keith

      Donald H Locker <dhlocker@...> wrote:
      I'm not confused about the difference between metric and imperial vs decimal and
      fractional.

      I do claim that decimal division of units is not preferred. As I stated in my
      earlier post, it is more difficult to accurately, without a previously existing
      standard, divide a physical entity into fifths (hence tenths and so forth) than
      it is to divide in halves. In the case of circles, sixths (after halves) are
      the logical division.

      I'm also suggesting (strongly, true) that the metric system is an attempt to
      force a philosophically "pure" measurement system on an impure world, a world in
      which factors like the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter,
      the number of days in a year, the smallest temperature difference that a human
      can detect, the ratio between a DC voltage and a pure sinusoidal AC voltage with
      the same heating power, and other measurable quantities are inconstant,
      irrational, and VERY USEFUL.

      A measurement system should be, first and foremost, of great utility in its
      realm of application. Defining a meter to be "one ten millionth of the distance
      from the pole to the equator through the prime meridian" is as arbitrary and as
      useless as defining an inch to be the length of fifteen [randomly selected]
      barleycorns laid end-to-end. At least (at the time of that definition) most
      people had access to 15 barleycorns. As far as I know, the originally defined
      meter wasn't really accessible to _anyone_.

      When I'm doing machining, I deal in inches, and thousandths thereof. A tenth of
      a millimtere is too coarse, but a hundredth is often too fine. Buildings are in
      feet and tenths or feet and inches, but stage sets are feet and inches. When
      I'm doing circles, I use degrees or radians as required. Masses are grams,
      kilograms, slugs, poundals or pounds -- again as needed. Electrical stuff is in
      amps and volts (seldom do high voltage, so kV don't come into it) but
      non-sinusoidal voltages need different analyses and handling than DC and
      sinusoidal. Paper is letter, legal, folio, A4, A3, A2, A, B, C. Whatever is
      appropriate to the situation.

      I'm just grousing, I guess, that so many people want to use metric where it just
      isn't an appropriate system. I'll be quiet now. For a while.

      Maybe I'm just grumpy about not having built my MultiMachine yet. Or my Urwick
      MetalMaster. Or anything useful or fun for the last few years.

      Donald.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 8, 2007
        Hello David
         I will look around and see what I can find. That help me go in the right direction.
         Keith

        "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

        >It sound like a useful item,I have seen self stick tape measure
        >In a woodworking catalog I have,but it is marked in 16th.
        >I can not seem to find it with the search engine?
        >I am thinking maybe the word was misspelled?
        >Maybe some more information would be helpful.
        >The idea sounds workable.

        Well, I didn't bookmark the site where I found them, but Metric tapes
        are calibrated in CM/MM and 10 CM is 3.937 inches, so on a 1.253188+"
        (about 4 cM) diameter drum, it should work nicely.

        David G. LeVine
        Nashua, NH 03060

        http://mail.yahoo.com