Re: [multimachine] Re: VW crankcases

  • ubergeek72@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      On Oct 31, 2007, at 10:29 PM, a1g2r3i wrote:
      > There may still be
      > possibilities here though. What is it that holds the VW cylinders to
      > the crankcase? If it is the heads themselves, wouldn't something have
      > to be made to keep the cylinders in place?

      The cylinders are held in place by 4 long bolts that come up from the
      crank case, go through the cooling fins of the cylinders, and through
      the tops of the cylinder heads. The cases are/were made of an
      aluminum/magnesium alloy. The cylinders were cast iron. I believe the
      heads were the same alloy as the case. They were, in any case,
      aluminum. You could strip the spark plug holes in the heads fairly
      easily.

      If all you're using the case for is a rigid straight edge, you might
      want to think about using the seam where the two case halves join
      instead of the cylinder bank holes. The cases were precisely machined
      enough that they didn't have gaskets between the two halves.

      Personally, I'd be tempted to look at the VW transaxle more. Might
      even have the bearings you need already in it.

      -Jim (who is very happy to have a question he can actually answer go
      by. :)