Whats going on?

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
      The "NOW" PBS contest fizzled out. This was a real downer! I had no
      expectation of winning anything but I wanted to reach the foundations
      that were doing the judging. It turns out that they passed over the MM
      project with just a glance. This was a real lesson to me. I seem to be
      caught in some kind black hole where people who want to help the
      impoverished seem to reject any kind of technical solution and people
      who like to build things seem not to understand what I am trying to
      say in the "How to Build" book. I feel that I am at fault in this.

      So.........I am going to try to make a video that can be understood by
      both the groups that I would like to reach.

      Pat
    • Nick Andrews
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2007
        Well, as you know, most of those 'foundation' types are the commie bleeding-heart do-gooders that don't care about really helping anybody, they just wanna tax us to death and take credit for helping people.  They are rarely interested in real solutions to problems and propagate band-aid cover-up programs instead.  I think more pictures in the book will make things a bit more clear.  A video would be awesome and I think really help spread the word.  Get it up on youtube with several short films showing the machine and using it.  Eventually this will get noticed!  Keep up the good work, Pat.

        On 10/3/07, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

        The "NOW" PBS contest fizzled out. This was a real downer! I had no
        expectation of winning anything but I wanted to reach the foundations
        that were doing the judging. It turns out that they passed over the MM
        project with just a glance. This was a real lesson to me. I seem to be
        caught in some kind black hole where people who want to help the
        impoverished seem to reject any kind of technical solution and people
        who like to build things seem not to understand what I am trying to
        say in the "How to Build" book. I feel that I am at fault in this.

        So.........I am going to try to make a video that can be understood by
        both the groups that I would like to reach.

        Nick A

        "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

        "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

        "Be polite.  Be professional.  But be prepared to kill everyone you meet."  Anonymous

        "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then you must be talking about Hillary Clinton."  Jeff Foxworthy
      • Kertis Engle
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
          I am disappointed by the reception your ideas were given. On the other
          hand, I am impressed by the inner strength shown by your reaction to
          that disappointment. Many would practice their sailor talk. You have
          decided to try to be clearer. It would seem that Pat Delany is not
          just about Pat Delany. It would seem the MM is not Pat's baby, or
          Pats' ego, but rather it is Pats' contribution. I am told that those
          who matter most notice things like this. It is called, if I am
          educated, Character.

          Minor suggestion : buzzword.
          "bootstrap engineering"
          "Taking the mystery out of machine tools"
          and possibly "intentionally simple"

          Watching and learning.
          Kertis

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@...> wrote:

          > The "NOW" PBS contest fizzled out. This was a real downer! I had no
          > expectation of winning anything but I wanted to reach the foundations
          > that were doing the judging. It turns out that they passed over the MM
          > project with just a glance. This was a real lesson to me. I seem to be
          > caught in some kind black hole where people who want to help the
          > impoverished seem to reject any kind of technical solution and people
          > who like to build things seem not to understand what I am trying to
          > say in the "How to Build" book. I feel that I am at fault in this.
          >
          > So.........I am going to try to make a video that can be understood by
          > both the groups that I would like to reach.
          >
          > Pat

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
            Nick

            Yuotube is a great idea, seems obvious once someone says it.
            Pat lets see some chips!
            Jeff

            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Andrews" <nickjandrews@...>
            wrote:

            > Well, as you know, most of those 'foundation' types are the commie
            > bleeding-heart do-gooders that don't care about really helping
            anybody, they
            > just wanna tax us to death and take credit for helping people. They are
            > rarely interested in real solutions to problems and propagate band-aid
            > cover-up programs instead. I think more pictures in the book will make
            > things a bit more clear. A video would be awesome and I think
            really help
            > spread the word. Get it up on youtube with several short films
            showing the
            > machine and using it. Eventually this will get noticed! Keep up
            the good
            > work, Pat.
            >
            > On 10/3/07, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The "NOW" PBS contest fizzled out. This was a real downer! I had no
            > > expectation of winning anything but I wanted to reach the foundations
            > > that were doing the judging. It turns out that they passed over the MM
            > > project with just a glance. This was a real lesson to me. I seem to be
            > > caught in some kind black hole where people who want to help the
            > > impoverished seem to reject any kind of technical solution and people
            > > who like to build things seem not to understand what I am trying to
            > > say in the "How to Build" book. I feel that I am at fault in this.
            > >
            > > So.........I am going to try to make a video that can be understood by
            > > both the groups that I would like to reach.

            > Nick A
            >
            > "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
            > single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975
            >
            > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
            temporary safety
            > deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical
            Review
            > of Pennsylvania, 1759
            >
            > "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you
            > meet." Anonymous
            >
            > "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about
            somebody, then
            > you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy

          • Steve Sharp
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hi Pat,

              I was just thinking, for a change, who are your competitors? I know
              that sounds odd, this being a humanitarian venture, but the groups
              with power, money and an infrastructure for distribution will be
              looking at all comers. If you can find some competitors, see how
              they present their materials, promote themselves, explain their pros
              and cons and who helps them do these things. By competitors, I mean
              anyone trying to bring functional items to 3rd world countries. It's
              challenging in that from a humble beginning, politics, academics and
              ego start to come into play, but stick with the idea behind the mm.

              I think the video is a great idea and I agree, youtube could be a
              wonderful avenue. You also might do a search for ad agencies that do
              pro bono work (or humanitarian, or so on) and just give them a call.
              It might seem intimidating, but once they see your background,
              materials, group, and history, you'll see they'll open up quickly.
              They will generally be quick to decide for themselves, will this be
              viable or not for my agency.

              Another group to look at for ideas is the TED talks, www.ted.com for
              a wide variety of how information is presented, but also individual
              and group achievements. One in particular is: http://www.ted.com/
              index.php/talks/view/id/153
              A woman who developed an energy efficient cookstove for Darfur
              refuges is Christina Galistsky, there is an article at http://
              www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/galitsky.html It might be
              worth a call to her or the person working with her to find out what
              channels they went through, what contacts they had or directions they
              can give you.

              You should be proud that you've taken an idea so far. From the
              knowledge and skills developed throughout your life and the desire to
              help others, you've accomplished a wonderful undertaking, a project
              many of us don't even have in the periphery of our dreams. Now, it
              seems to me, the bulk is done, and distribution/need/plan comes into
              effect. Knowing my own skills and limitations, this is where I would
              have to look outside my self.

              Pat, my congratulations and best wishes for whatever happens with the
              mm and whatever you decide to do next. It is the ingenuity, inner
              resolve and strength of spirit like yours that has made our country
              so great and our people so proud.

              commie bleeding-heart do-gooder that pays taxes ; )
              Steve Sharp
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
                And Jeff is right. I do need to make chips!
                The last 18 months have been really bad. A backwards fall down steep
                stairs, 3 knee operations that included a total replacement that was
                botched and repair surgery after that followed by chronic fatigue and
                a mysterious leak that kept the shop soaking wet while I was laid up,
                really screwed things up. Being 72 does not help things at all!

                The movie will likely run about 2 hours (covering alternate ways to do
                everything really eats up time) so will be a big project. Luckily the
                "How to build book" can be most of the script. I am not going to do it
                in dvd quality since the file size would be beyond belief and would
                guarantee multiple crashes and loss of video. I bought a "Flip" camera
                for a hundred bucks that turns out good 640x480 video in compressed
                mp4 format that works seamlessly with Utube and also with the software
                I have.

                But first comes the Maker Faire in Austin on Oct 20/21.

                Pat

                --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Kertis Engle" <kertis.engle@...>

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Pat: I'd really reccommend recording the video at the best quality
                  that you can, and downsampling in software before it gets posted. It
                  is a lot easier to get detail that way... Also, you'd have the
                  option of making a DVD copy as well as the youtube version. If all
                  you have is low-quality video, then you'd have to re-record it if you
                  want to make a nicer version later.

                  If you were going to sell a DVD, I'd be willing to buy it (well up to
                  $40 or so) in advance. I suspect that you could find enough people on
                  the list to pay for equipment to do a job that makes everything as
                  clear as possible.

                  There is good free software that will do the conversion and editing
                  stuff. Try http://www.virtualdub.org ... I used to use this at work
                  to process an awful lot of video.

                  -- Pierre

                  On 10/4/07, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

                  > The movie will likely run about 2 hours (covering alternate ways to do
                  > everything really eats up time) so will be a big project. Luckily the
                  > "How to build book" can be most of the script. I am not going to do it
                  > in dvd quality since the file size would be beyond belief and would
                  > guarantee multiple crashes and loss of video. I bought a "Flip" camera
                  > for a hundred bucks that turns out good 640x480 video in compressed
                  > mp4 format that works seamlessly with Utube and also with the software
                  > I have.
                • jonbohmer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 22, 2007
                    OK guys, I'm a new poster but I must commend on this initiative. Like all good ideas for
                    Africa it is being constantly ignored. But the ingenuity of people around the world will
                    somehow prevail. Case in point, read about this undergrad in Nigeria who built his own
                    helicopter from scrap - and it flies, it is even a four-seater! He even used a crashed
                    jumbojet for parts :-)

                    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/nigeriahelicopteroffbeat;_ylt=AsIVmuqaLsBZ9aRS3syKSG0D
                    W7oF

                    This guy should have a multimachine when he makes his next version! That would be a
                    great example from the field.

                    J:-)N

                    --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@...> wrote:

                    > The "NOW" PBS contest fizzled out. This was a real downer! I had no
                    > expectation of winning anything but I wanted to reach the foundations
                    > that were doing the judging. It turns out that they passed over the MM
                    > project with just a glance. This was a real lesson to me. I seem to be
                    > caught in some kind black hole where people who want to help the
                    > impoverished seem to reject any kind of technical solution and people
                    > who like to build things seem not to understand what I am trying to
                    > say in the "How to Build" book. I feel that I am at fault in this.
                    >
                    > So.........I am going to try to make a video that can be understood by
                    > both the groups that I would like to reach.
                    >
                    > Pat

                  • Tim Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 23, 2007
                      On 10/3/07, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:
                      > Well, as you know, most of those 'foundation' types are the commie bleeding-heart do-gooders that don't care about really helping anybody, they just wanna tax us to death and take credit for helping people. They are rarely interested in real solutions to problems and propagate band-aid cover-up programs instead. I think more pictures in the book will make things a bit more clear. A video would be awesome and I think really help spread the word. Get it up on youtube with several short films showing the machine and using it. Eventually this will get noticed! Keep up the good work, Pat.

                      As a board member of a not-for-profit organization, I'd like to
                      congratulate you on outing us. We're really horrible people.

                      --tim
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 23, 2007
                        I unloaded the sucker with my beloved $100 Homier motor hoist and used
                        the lawnmower to drag it into the garage. Really looked ridiculous!

                        Pat

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
                          At 12:43 PM 10/23/2007, you wrote:

                          On 10/3/07, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@... > wrote:
                          > Well, as you know, most of those 'foundation' types are the commie bleeding-heart do-gooders that don't care about really helping anybody, they just wanna tax us to death and take credit for helping people. They are rarely interested in real solutions to problems and propagate band-aid cover-up programs instead. I think more pictures in the book will make things a bit more clear. A video would be awesome and I think really help spread the word. Get it up on youtube with several short films showing the machine and using it. Eventually this will get noticed! Keep up the good work, Pat.

                          As a board member of a not-for-profit organization, I'd like to
                          congratulate you on outing us. We're really horrible people.

                          Tim, are there bad law enforcement officers?  Are most of them good people?  If there are any bad "'foundation' types", every non-profit will be tarred with the same brush.  I know a lot of good non-profit organizations, but I have seen some corrupt ones too.

                          His generalization may be untrue (MOST are not corrupt) but he may be right, bureaucracies tend to perpetuate the problems they are created to eliminate in order to perpetuate themselves.

                          David G. LeVine
                          Nashua, NH  03060

                        • Tim Schmidt
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
                            On 10/24/07, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:
                            > Tim, are there bad law enforcement officers? Are most of them good people? If there are any bad "'foundation' types", every non-profit will be tarred with the same brush. I know a lot of good non-profit organizations, but I have seen some corrupt ones too.
                            >
                            > His generalization may be untrue (MOST are not corrupt) but he may be right, bureaucracies tend to perpetuate the problems they are created to eliminate in order to perpetuate themselves.

                            So many assumptions wrapped up in that... are NFPs and foundations
                            all bureaucracies? I doubt it. Same for perpetuating problems -
                            examples exist, but there are probably just as many counter-examples.

                            What is _certain_, is that talk like that about NFPs and foundations
                            will ensure they are never interested in helping the project.

                            You're welcome to your opinion of course, but the project as a whole
                            should be diplomatic.

                            --tim