Re: [multimachine] Re: Sketchup Inference engine

  • Tim Schmidt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8 7:57 PM
      Just a couple of Free / Libre tools I use:

      QCad (http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html) is an excellent 2D CAD tool
      that comes with just about every Linux, but also runs on Windows
      (though they'd like to charge you $ for the Windows version).

      Blender (http://www.blender.org/) is a stunningly capable (and equally
      complex) 3D modelling tool geared toward animation, but with more than
      enough features for basic 3D CAD. Again, Blender comes with almost
      every Linux, but also runs on Windows - this time, no charge.

      --tim
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9 10:36 AM
        Hi Oscar
        My MM is going to be in several shows in the next few months. Any
        shipping money would best be used by building a machine over there. If
        you can find somebody with at least a little machining experience and
        a source of a few engine blocks (big oilfield engines would be great),
        the project is pretty simple. If you have a good email or Skype
        connection, I will walk you through the whole process.

        Pat--- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "oscarbenbela"

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9 12:04 PM
          Hi Chuck

          As much as I would like to, I can't change now. Sketchup drawings can
          be accurate enough to be imported into several CAD programs (VIACAD
          supposedly. I am just dreadful at this sort of thing.

          Pat

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Fellows" <cfellows@...> wrote:

          > Hi Pat,
          >
          > I've fooled around with Google Sketchup and it almost doesn't seem
          > like a very serious 3d drawing tool. Do you feel that it's more than
          > adequate for your needs now? Are you able to draw to scale and with
          > sufficient detail with it?
          >
          > I've also downloaded and tried Alibre as well as Solid Edge. They
          > both seem very complicated. I've been using Micrografx Designer for
          > years and it works fine as a 2D drafting tool. Unfortunately, it's
          > now supported (and I use the term loosely) by Corel and it would cost
          > a lot to upgrade to the latest version. Also, it's 3D capabilities are
          > somewhat limited.
          >
          > I don't mind investing the effort in learning a 3D drafting tool, but
          > I want to make sure I find one that will be worth the effort and will
          > meet my requirements.
          >
          > Chuck
          >

          > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have long known that if the MM took off in developing countries, I
          > > was going to be in deep trouble trying to explain how to adapt the
          > > machine to different circumstances. I had to learn to draw in 3D and
          > > Sketchup was the only free program that I could find. I felt that if
          > > it was good enough for Google I should be able to learn it. I was
          > > almost wrong! Only after a 3 hour Sketchup course have I made any
          > > headway. The reason was that I misunderstood the importance of the
          > > "Inference engine". If you tried and failed to learn Sketchup then
          > > check out the following description at
          > > http://download.sketchup.com/OnlineDoc/gsu6_win/gsuwin.html
          > >
          > > Pat

        • oscarbenbela