Re: [multimachine] Re: source for precise large dia. tubing

  • Chris Bailey
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      Charles,
      Are you referring to the cylinders or rams? If you could find something like this with maybe blown
      seals or a busted shackle, then that might be a perfect bit.

      Trouble around here is that you can't take things out of our dumps. The salvage / junk yards want
      quite a bit of money for anything in halfway decent shape.

      Chris Bailey

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
        At 12:05 PM 6/4/05, you wrote:

        >Charles,
        >Are you referring to the cylinders or rams? If you could find something
        >like this with maybe blown
        >seals or a busted shackle, then that might be a perfect bit.

        Dont know, I've never dismantled any, it was just a thought in the hope
        others would know.

      • bdmail
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
          Hello Chris,

          Where are you?

          I can go to my town "recycling center" and dump and pick through.
          There is even a "Second Hand Shack" where people bring still-working things
          instead of them making it into the dumpster.

          Bernie in New Jersey

          > Charles,
          > Are you referring to the cylinders or rams? If you could find something like
          > this with maybe blown
          > seals or a busted shackle, then that might be a perfect bit.
          >
          > Trouble around here is that you can't take things out of our dumps. The
          > salvage / junk yards want
          > quite a bit of money for anything in halfway decent shape.
          >
          > Chris Bailey
          >

          > --- Carl McIver <cmciver@...> wrote:
          >
          >> That is a good source, since the diameters, wall thickness, and material
          >> are tightly
          >> controlled. Once filled with concrete it
          >> will be plenty stiff enough, but I'm still wondering if the wall thickness is
          >> still enough.
          >> You also don't get it in very large sizes, however.

        • Carl McIver
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2005
            Depending on your location, hydraulic shops and heavy equipment shops with bad cylinders will dump them in their scrap metal
            bin. If you're sweet and bring donuts and or something to grease a palm, they might let you pick through and see what's there.
            Considering how the price of steel has gone up, these scrap bins are coming "inside the fence" and the checks from the recycler are
            more worth the hassle than they used to be, so you might ought to be ready to offer something more than donuts for what you get.
            Recently I wanted a couple semi truck brake drums for some shop tool bases, and a local truck brake shop even loaded a couple
            into the truck for me. Too heavy for me to handle by hand, especially with a bum shoulder. The folks there didn't want to take any
            cash from me, but from the way they talked it's not a tit I can milk very often for the above reasons.

            http://www.craigslist.org/ is an excellent source for lots of stuff. As with any dealings on the internet with strangers, even
            local, be careful. Craislist is all over the place, and local lists for just about any area of the world and country. Freecycle is
            an excellent way to get rid of lots of stuff, and is free only. Better to have lots more offers than wanted listings lest you get
            taken off. It's a Yahoo group and I've benefited a lot from it.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
              What about someone who lives near Boeing surplus, or a place making
              tank guns out of 1040. Find the right scrap pile, and you are
              golden. Then we have the first offshoot business as Pat mentioned.
              Realistically it's cheaper to buy it from a prefered source, than to
              scrounge all over hell's half acre. Sure for some that's fun, but
              for anyone who works for a living, still (I don't but I remember
              taking holiday days to look for scrap...) It isn't cost effective.
              What about some place like Grizzly that might not be too stuck up to
              sell parts direct. The shaft out of one of their lathes would be
              fine, at least for standard spindle diameters.

              Obviously there are two tracks for this project. One is for the
              average american, and the other is for like border areas of Packistan
              where there is a severe need for machine tools so they can build
              knock-off AK-47,... and water pumps. Incidentally, part of the
              reason I can't score a used industrial lathe in Canada, is because
              the charities are snapping them up for inflated tax coupons, and
              shipping them to the third world in huge numbers already. Anyway,
              for the north american lathe, if one prices it at a reasonable level
              I would prefer to pay more for stuff like shafts, and less for stuff
              like machining. It could cost me a grand (When I worked) just to
              take 3 days off, one finding a motor; two finding a shop; three
              dropping off and picking up. If I could mail order a shaft, and a
              pot of Babbit, and not have to go anywhere to get machining done, in
              the real world I would be ahead.

              When I say price it reasonably, I just mean if you look at what it
              will cost the average person, not someone who devoted 2 years to
              scrounging, and look at what it cost to house it in the average house
              and run it, it isn't going to be free. If one slaps the real price
              on it, maybe a 100-400 to set up with the right spindle and bearing
              parts is a steel just for the swing alone.
            • Carl McIver
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                The irony about Boeing surplus is that they finally noticed two things: One, that folks were reselling all the stock they sold
                for a great profit, often on ebay (eventually they'll sell direct to ebay themselves, just give it time.) Secondly, the price of
                scrap metal went up. That discovered, their prices for stock has gone way up, so much so it's barely worth trying to find what you
                want in a picked over rack. I live at the north end of Puget Sound and it takes me an hour to get there. As a Boeing employee, I
                do get a discount, but I've been getting more and more disappointed every time I visit. Those that make a living off of Boeing
                Surplus have the advantage, as well as those within Boeing that have friends there than can make arrangements within the system,
                which I'm in no position to do.
                The other issue is that for folks who have to work days, you just can't do get there when the place has been restocked unless
                you want to take the day off. I'm on a long vacation and it was still a PITA to go down there, especially in my gas hog truck, and
                over an hour one way in good traffic.

                | What about someone who lives near Boeing surplus, or a place making
                | tank guns out of 1040. Find the right scrap pile, and you are
                | golden. Then we have the first offshoot business as Pat mentioned.
                | Realistically it's cheaper to buy it from a prefered source, than to
                | scrounge all over hell's half acre. Sure for some that's fun, but
                | for anyone who works for a living, still (I don't but I remember
                | taking holiday days to look for scrap...) It isn't cost effective.
                | What about some place like Grizzly that might not be too stuck up to
                | sell parts direct. The shaft out of one of their lathes would be
                | fine, at least for standard spindle diameters.
              • proaconstrictor
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                  That's the end of a dream then! My boatbuilding friends were always
                  raving about BS.

                  I feel you coments about the cost of scavenging are applicable to all
                  scavenging. Well not if you are really lucky about what is in your
                  neighbourhood. Up here in Canada, they were sending the BS to the US
                  in the first place, so we never get a break. I go to machinery re-
                  sellers, and they are sending all their choice stuff to the US also.
                  It's good that things go to the highest value point, but it makes
                  some of these scrounging projects a challenge. I know if I needed
                  this stuff I would just go to a metal mart, and go through their
                  scraps pile. Though I think in some cases metal is pretty cheap up
                  here. I don't find the price of mechanical tubing all that
                  frightening. Machining is another mater. When I made my tubing
                  bender, they wanted 35 dollars a 1" hole!

                  --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Carl McIver" <cmciver@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > The irony about Boeing surplus is that they finally noticed two
                  things: One, that folks were reselling all the stock they sold
                  > for a great profit, often on ebay (eventually they'll sell direct
                  to ebay themselves, just give it time.) Secondly, the price of
                  > scrap metal went up. That discovered, their prices for stock has
                  gone way up, so much so it's barely worth trying to find what you
                  > want in a picked over rack. I live at the north end of Puget Sound
                  and it takes me an hour to get there. As a Boeing employee, I
                  > do get a discount, but I've been getting more and more disappointed
                  every time I visit. Those that make a living off of Boeing
                  > Surplus have the advantage, as well as those within Boeing that
                  have friends there than can make arrangements within the system,
                  > which I'm in no position to do.
                  > The other issue is that for folks who have to work days, you
                  just can't do get there when the place has been restocked unless
                  > you want to take the day off. I'm on a long vacation and it was
                  still a PITA to go down there, especially in my gas hog truck, and
                  > over an hour one way in good traffic.

                  tubing

                  > | What about someone who lives near Boeing surplus, or a place
                  making
                  > | tank guns out of 1040. Find the right scrap pile, and you are
                  > | golden. Then we have the first offshoot business as Pat
                  mentioned.
                  > | Realistically it's cheaper to buy it from a prefered source, than
                  > | scrounge all over hell's half acre. Sure for some that's fun, but
                  > | for anyone who works for a living, still (I don't but I remember
                  > | taking holiday days to look for scrap...) It isn't cost effective.
                  > | What about some place like Grizzly that might not be too stuck up
                  > | sell parts direct. The shaft out of one of their lathes would be
                  > | fine, at least for standard spindle diameters.
                • jerry stout
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 9, 2005
                    Check local forklift or dump truck dealer for lift cylinders. These
                    are large diameter (2 to 8 inches) and can be as much as six feet long.
                    Telescoping cylinders will have 1/4 inch wall inter barrels that are
                    precision ground ID and OD. They are frequently scraped because of surface
                    galding or dents that causes leaks or unstable lifting. Also check to see
                    who is buying their scrap metal and aproach that person. Usually they are
                    selling it to someone for a few cents a pound and he is hauling it to the
                    junk yard for a few cents spread plus the copper and aluminum he can
                    seperate out.