Re: My wife submitted this to the PBS "NOW" program contest

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 13, 2007
      The piece that I don't know how to build is the little brass pivot
      fitting in the head of the cylinder. A 2" bore with 20 psi will
      generate 60 lbs of force and be at around 350 deg F. Teflon flows and
      most plastics are getting soft at 350 F. About the only thing that I
      can come up with that might survive is a ball made from 440C surgical
      stainless steel with a hole EDMed through the middle of it and a
      siliconized bronze seat to let it wear against. Make the seat too big
      and it won't seal too small and the life expectancy will be short.
      Any other ideas?
      Jeff

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@...> wrote:

      > Hello Scott
      > After looking at the website and the photo's on it, he has way
      too many parts.
      > The two cylinders and the other stuff that are there are kind of
      redunant.
      > A more convential engine might be more inline for a third world
      country.It would only have a few more parts.
      > Something like the MM a high RPM engine with low torque would not
      as good as a lower speed but high torque engine.
      > The rubber O-rings that he iis useing for piston ring,might be
      fine for the low pressure he is speaking about useing. Higher
      pressuses would call for something like a steel ring.
      > He has made no way to reverse the engine Or control the valve
      cutoff to get the most efficient use of steam.

      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 15, 2007
        Hello Pierre
         I going to give a lesson in Steam 101 for the steam impaired.
         Saturated Steam, is any steam that is still in contact with the water in the boiler.
         Most of the small boiler for hobby use are of this type.
        Superheated steam, additional heat is added without any increase in pressuse.
         So if you pipe the steam for the boiler to the prime mover( your engine, turbine,ect) you are operateing it off Saturted Steam.
           To get Superheated Steam you pipe the Steam through a pipe in the firebox to get the extra heat. Than to you prime mover. Superheating steam gains efficicency in the heat cycle this way
         These are simple terms for the lesson only.

         Note : Most of the nuclear power plants use saturated steam because there is no way to get the extra heat .

        On 6/14/07, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail. com> wrote:
        > On Wednesday 13 June 2007 10:45 pm, Darwin Wandler wrote:
        > > The entropy of steam makes it 100 times more powerful than internal
        > > combustion
        > > engines.
        >
        > For those of us who failed thermodynamics, could you expound a little, or
        > point to some links?

        First of all, consider that the biggest nuclear power plants typically
        use a steam turbine to convert thermonuclear power into mechanical
        energy to run the generator.

        http://www.avn. be/uk/4_nucleair e/tecchp05. asp

        The energy from the nuclear reaction boils the water into superheated
        steam (thus cooling the reactor and preventing melt-down!) and the
        steam is fired into a turbine to spin the generator. You can't easily
        get straight from heat-energy to electricity in large quantities.

        > I always thought gasoline was one of the most concentrated forms of
        > (combustible, as opposed to say nuclear) energy. Does steam contain more
        > energy? What temperature and PSI of steam must you attain to be in the same
        > ballpark as gasoline? (Or am I asking the wrong questions?)

        Plastic explosives, nitroglycerine, etc all carry much more
        concentrated energy than gasoline. Diesel fuel can be used with
        higher efficiency. The advantages of gasoline are that it is not too
        expensive, and is not so powerful that you blow up a lot of engines...
        With an internal combustion engine, you need to contain a small
        explosion, and capture energy from it. The tradeoffs that stem from
        that are what make things interesting.

        Steam, compressed air, hydraulic fluid, and hydrogen are methods used
        to store and transfer energy, not really fuels. The reason I say that
        is that when you burn wood, gasoline, kerosene, or some other fuel it
        gives up more energy than you put into getting the fuel.

        When you burn hydrogen, obtained by electrolysis of water, the energy
        that you put into the water is greater than the energy that comes from
        the explosion...
        Don Lancaster has a lot of very interesting things for tinkerers and
        other mad-science types:
        http://www.tinaja. com/h2gas01. asp

        Think of steam like a driveshaft or like belts and pulleys... They get
        the energy from the fire to the spindle, they do not provide the power
        itself...