Re: Where are the new members coming from?/ Papercrete

  • Hecky Villanueva
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
      hi keith.  re: papercrete, hmm, not to sure.  florida is considered a "hazardous" area right. good luck!  just heard from the news that meteorologists expect at least 17 storms this year with 7-9 turning into hurricanes...papercrete is gaining popularity here in arizona, but note that arizona is actually ARIDzona so the conditions are ideal... check out http://livinginpaper.com/.  barry fuller has been working with the u. of arizona- BARA (bureau of applied research in anthropology) the past year...he says that you can reinforce papercrete with rebars but that would drive up the cost...

      another way would be using sandbags. check out http://www.calearth.org/index.htm.  more practical as this can be used in disaster operations as well. some architects i've spoken too have violent opinions though about this tech and alttech.  something to do with "regressive architecture and technology"...

      multimachine can complement these alttech by helping build mixing machines, repair of tools, etc.  do note that at least half of the world's population still use wood burning stoves for heating and cooking. so, better and cheaper home construction reduces heating (burning) costs/efforts reducing GW emissions...

      best,

      hecky

      Be a PS3 game guru.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
        Hello Hecky
        Yes, florida is a hazardous zone, and hurricanes hit here. Ivan came ashore about 30 mile west of my house about 3 years ago. It tore up a bunch of stuff.
         I read something in the local paper about the Hurricane predictions for this year,did not look good.
         I was looking at it maybe to replace a wood frame house down here. Thinking it might survive better. But, like you said , the  research is in ARIDzona , mostly desert!!
          I have seen mostly desert in Barstow Ca,I lived there for about 5 years.
         The sub- topical humid climite of the panhandle of Florida it might not work too good.
         Concrete and block / brick structures do good here  wood does good if it does not get hit by flying debris. Flying debris is what does the most damage to buildings. you need something that can deal with the flying debris.
         I will check out the web site you gave me , and think about it.
         Thank you for the information.
         HAppy Building
         Keith Gutshall

        Hecky Villanueva <livingplanet2001@...> wrote:
[...]