Re: [multimachine] What table should I get ??

  • john labutski
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
      Get the bigger table. You will get twice the travel and can add preloaded ball screws later and still have about 10 inches of x travel. I have the bigger one that I am adding ball screws to. You won't regret spending an additional 50 bucks.

      John

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
        Joe
        The larger table seems like it is less likely to
        chatter. Maybe its the difference in weight or the
        size of the leadscrew. BUT BUT - ENCO shipped mine in
        the original Chinese packaging that had just 1/2" of
        foam protecting the crossfeed knob. Result was a bent
        knob and a broken nut on the acme screw. They don't
        stock replacement parts. I'm using mine brazed up
        until I eventually lap the dovetails and replace both
        acme screws and nuts with recirculating ball screws.

        Grizzly has the same table and they may package it
        better if you ask.

        Pat

        --- joe <jalign@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > Anyone care to jump in and comment about what cross
        > slide table to
        > get ??
        > Enco has the small table (#201-2826) on sale for
        > $68.95. 12 inch
        > long, 5 and 1/2
        > inches wide, 8 inch longitudinal travel, 5 inch
        > cross travel. The
        > bigger table is $119.95
        > on sale (#201-2536) 18.5 inches long, 6 inches wide,
        > 11 inch
        > longitudinal travel, 7.5
        > inch cross travel.
        > I don't want to be too cheap, but I am trying to do
        > this on a budget.
        > Pros and cons ?
        > Thanks, Joe

      • Mike Delany
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2005
          The more travel the better. One thing that you might look for is a used
          American X Y table. I found a Palmgren that is very tight listed in the
          paper. Cost less than the shipping on the Enco table and should last
          twice as long.

          Mike