RE : Re: RE : Re: [multimachine] Speed control - variateur de vitesse

  • lorier dal
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 1, 2007
      It is right what I'm looking for.  I will design a gear box with the reduction needed for my purposes, i.e. fuul, half and one third of the full speed.  But I have to change the motor for a 5hp 230Vac 1ph.

      Thank you to every body for their comments!

      Larry

      keith gutshall <drpshops@...> a écrit :
      Hello Larry
       I am like Jeff, the best way to get a reduction in speed from a single phase motor would be a reduction shaft with pulleys or gears.
       The motor would run at full speed and be most efficient. The belts and/ or gears would use some power but not enought to worrie about.
       Keith Gutshall

      Jeff <jhan5en@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Larry
      If you could alter the gear ratio either via the pulleys or a
      planetary gear set below the motor you could run the motor at full
      rpm and use a cheap phase converter to power the mill and anything
      else in the shop. I have seen people use a planetary form an automatic
      transmission to gear down electric motors with good success.
      I thought that I put this reference in the links but here is a good
      reference on three phase converters to expand on what Darwin Said.
      http://www.metalweb news.com/ howto/ph- conv/ph-conv. html
      Jeff

      --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, lorier dal <lorierda@.. .> wrote:

      > Yes it is a 5hp. I need to cut 1/2 the speed for the slowest speed
      i.e. 1750 / 2 = 875 rpm. Have to run 8" facemill with 16 inserts.
      There is no clutch. The max amp is 21.

      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 4, 2007
        At 02:46 PM 4/4/2007, you wrote:

        >If a manual transmision can take the torque of a 5hp motor it will
        >be a good idea... not bad and interesting. I'll look about that,
        >maybe I will start-up my milling earlier than expected with this.

        I'm going to be a little silly here. An old Muncie can easily handle
        500 ft-lbs of torque at 6,500 RPM. Can your 5 HP motor do more than
        that? Look at what your motor can put out for torque, then look at
        an automobile engine. I think it is overkill to use a high powered
        car transmission. Anything bigger that a "2 horse" should be
        fine. Some garden tractors are big enough. Find a 12 HP with a
        hydrostatic transmission and it will give you infinite speeds.

        David G. LeVine
        Nashua, NH 03060