Re: The Spindle/2 1/4" 8?

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2007
      I have a 3 jaw 7 1/2" chuck that has a 1.77" bore that I think is just
      great. Remember that the MM probably will have a short bed so that
      getting the biggest spindle bore possible is impt. A Dodge PU Cummins
      engine with a 5.5" bore and ZA 27 bushings would probably give you
      something like a 3.5" spindle bore and the whole setup could cost very
      little. A big rusty $100 Ebay 4 jaw chuck would really top the thing off!

      Pat

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "drpshops" <drpshops@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > collar.
      > >
      > > Pat
      > >Hello Pat
      > There might be an advantage to the 1.50 hole in the spindle.
      > you could turn 1.375 stuff, a 6 in chuck has an 1 9/16 hole in it.
      > That way you could turn long stuff with no problem. You just let the
      > long end stick out the back of the machine.I might want it turn a
      > 1.375 in
      > that is 6ft long.
      > Think about it, what is the biggest size that will fit through you
      > machine?
      > It looks like a better idea to me than the smaller spindle.
      > HAppy Building
      > Keith Gutshall
      >
      > > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello David
      > > > I thought about using a ring or collar as plan B, if I did not
      > > have enought material to work with.
      > > > If you Loctite it on ( with the red stuff) it should not go any
      > where.
      > > > Than you can machine it to what you want.
      > > > Like David said it could be use as a thrust collar,between the
      > > chuck and the bearing.
      > > > A .125 sholder looks small ,but it might work alright.
      > > > Thanks for the help .
      > > >
      > > > Happy Building
      > > > Keith Gutshall

      > 1/4"
      > work ok
      > > >
      > > > Pat, Keith, et al,
      > > >
      > > > Given that a longish register can be cut on the spindle itself
      > once
      > > > the MM is running, even a small shoulder on the spindle can work
      > if a
      > > > sleeve/spacer is made (on the MM) which is big ( as in 3" with a
      > long
      > > > bore) and a little too small (a few thousandths should do, or add
      > > > Loctite) and heated and pressed to the spindle shoulder. The long
      > > > bore will absorb the angular loads on the spacer, the spindle
      > > > shoulder will absorb the thrust load, and, since it will be
      > machined
      > > > in place once installed , the shoulder on the spacer should be
      > very
      > > > square and work well on the chuck's shoulder.
      > > >
      > > > Since little (or no) torque is transmitted by the spacer, keys,
      > > > splines, etc. are not needed. If you will want to transmit
      > torque,
      > > > add a few taper pins through the spacer and spindle, Loctite and
      > it
      > > > should be sufficient. Even a loose (no interference) spacer would
      > > > work, but it would be less accurate than one which doesn't shift.
      > > >
      > > > David G. LeVine
      > > > Nashua, NH 03060
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > 3/15/2007 11:27 AM
      > > >

      > > > Deep Run Portage
      > > > Back Shop
      > > > " The Lizard Works"
      > > >
      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > > Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.

    • drpshops
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 21, 2007
        wrote:

        > I have a 3 jaw 7 1/2" chuck that has a 1.77" bore that I think is
        just
        > great. Remember that the MM probably will have a short bed so that
        > getting the biggest spindle bore possible is impt. A Dodge PU
        Cummins
        > engine with a 5.5" bore and ZA 27 bushings would probably give you
        > something like a 3.5" spindle bore and the whole setup could cost
        very
        > little. A big rusty $100 Ebay 4 jaw chuck would really top the
        thing off!

        > Pat
        >Hello Pat
        I was looking through the Enco catalog and they only list 1 1/2-8
        And 2 1/4 -8 backplate for chucks.
        The Size tube I picked out 2.50od and 1.50id is because I have been
        kicking around the idea of put a shaft(1.50) through the hole and
        useing it like a drill spindle.
        My drive system in my drawing useing a quick change gearbox.
        I am still makeing drawing and thinking about the thing.
        They want $11 and I only have $10.
        Happy Building
        Keith Gutshall

        Date:

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 22, 2007
          Hi Keith

          I understand the dollar short feeling. It took a loooong time for me
          to get a $65 3 jaw chuck.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 22, 2007
            Hello Pat
             I found a place that sell machine tooling fairly inexpenseive CDCO Machinery Corp.
             There Website is  www.cdcotools.com   you might want to check them out.
              I order  a few thing from them , the tools seem to be fairly good quality stuff.
             Keith Gutshall

            with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.