Re: [multimachine] Re: build an engine mill for your home shop !

  • Randy Kramer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      On Wednesday 31 January 2007 11:06 pm, a1g2r3i wrote:
      > Something else I personally would try is the use of threaded rod
      > with bends inside the concreat and threaded rod sticking out the
      > forms a suficient distance so that any untoward shrinkage or
      > allignment problems could later have shrinkages alolowed for.

      Sounds like a good idea to me, and then you might fill the gaps with
      non-shrink grout. I know we used to use this when setting machinery in steel
      mills and so forth--you install the machine with a (narrow) gap between the
      concrete foundation and the machine (and bolt it down with shims to level it
      and so forth) then build sort of a form around the machine on top of the
      concrete (sort of like a dike), then pour the non-shrink grout in there. It
      is pretty thin and flows to fill all the gaps.

      I just don't know where an "ordinary person" can buy non-shrink grout, or what
      it consists of (maybe it is something like a very rich concrete mixture with
      only fine sand as the aggregate?). I haven't tried looking on the Internet.
      (For us, it came in bags similar to portland cement.)

      Randy Kramer
    • Jim Dunmyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        Our local hardware has non-shrink grout. VERY strong stuff!

        <<Jim>>

        <<http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer>>
        <<lower SE Michigan, USA>>
        <<jdunmyer@...>>

        <<mailto:jdunmyer@...>>

        > On Wednesday 31 January 2007 11:06 pm, a1g2r3i wrote:
        > > Something else I personally would try is the use of threaded rod
        > > with bends inside the concreat and threaded rod sticking out the
        > > forms a suficient distance so that any untoward shrinkage or
        > > allignment problems could later have shrinkages alolowed for.
        >
        > Sounds like a good idea to me, and then you might fill the gaps with
        > non-shrink grout. I know we used to use this when setting machinery in
        steel
        > mills and so forth--you install the machine with a (narrow) gap between
        the
        > concrete foundation and the machine (and bolt it down with shims to level
        it
        > and so forth) then build sort of a form around the machine on top of the
        > concrete (sort of like a dike), then pour the non-shrink grout in there.
        It
        > is pretty thin and flows to fill all the gaps.
        >
        > I just don't know where an "ordinary person" can buy non-shrink grout, or
        what
        > it consists of (maybe it is something like a very rich concrete mixture
        with
        > only fine sand as the aggregate?). I haven't tried looking on the
        Internet.
        > (For us, it came in bags similar to portland cement.)
        >
        > Randy Kramer
      • Randy Kramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          On Thursday 01 February 2007 07:41 am, Jim Dunmyer wrote:
          > Our local hardware has non-shrink grout. VERY strong stuff!

          Thanks!

          Randy Kramer
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            >I just don't know where an "ordinary person" can buy non-shrink
            >grout, or what
            >it consists of (maybe it is something like a very rich concrete mixture with
            >only fine sand as the aggregate?). I haven't tried looking on the Internet.

            Try http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0207277

            David G. LeVine
            Nashua, NH 03060

          • Randy Kramer