Re: about ok?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 9 8:41 AM
      David, this is an absolutely wonderful idea!! I would jump on this but
      I am half sick with some bug that just won't go away. Anyway,
      finishing the thread follower has to come first.
      Are there any Wiki experts out there? Is it possible to convert a PDF
      to Wiki format?

      Could we Just start with an introduction and a picture?

      Would this "send out" work for a temporary introduction?

      An Open source machine tool for developing countries

      "The MultiMachine is an open-source machine tool that could have many
      uses in developing countries. The machine, which can accurately
      perform all the functions of an entire machine shop by itself, can be
      built by a semi-skilled mechanic from discarded car and truck parts,
      using only commonly available hand tools and no electricity. It's size
      can range from being small enough to fit in a closet to one a hundred
      times that size.

      Some possible uses for the MultiMachine:

      AGRICULTURE: Building and repairing irrigation pumps and farm implements

      WATER SUPPLIES: Making and repairing water pumps and water-well
      drilling rigs.

      FOOD SUPPLIES: Building steel-rolling-and-bending machines for making
      fuel efficient cook stoves and other cooking equipment

      TRANSPORTATION: Anything from making cart axles to rebuilding vehicle
      clutch, brake, and other parts.

      EDUCATION: Building simple pipe-and-bar-bending machines to make
      school furniture, providing "hands on" training on student-built
      MultiMachines that they take with them when they leave school.

      JOB CREATION: A group of specialized MultiMachines can be combined to
      form a small, very low cost, metal working factory which could also
      serve as a trade school. Students could be taught a single skill on a
      specialized machine and be paid as a worker while learning other
      skills that they could take elsewhere.

      The MultiMachine's possiblities for helping people may sound like
      fantasy but they are not. The 2600+ member support group that has
      grown up around its creation is made up of engineers, machinists, and
      experimenters who have proven that the machine works. The details of
      the MultiMachine's functions and an 80 page "How to Build a
      Multimachine" are available at::

      Also on the site are plans for electric welders built from vehicle
      alternators, a design for an easily built hand-powered drill capable
      of cutting through the hardest steel and an easily-cast metal alloy
      that is almost as strong as cast iron.

      It was featured on the "Make" magazine website at:
      http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/11/the_open_source_1.html

      To download the plans, you will have to take a few seconds to at least
      temporarily "join" the Yahoo newsgroup. I regret the necessity of
      this, but it is the only way the site can handle the huge number of
      downloads of the 80-page "How to Build a MultiMachine" book.

      After looking at the site, please help us spread the information about
      the MultiMachine to those working with people whose lives it could
      change. Feel free to contact me directly for more information. I will
      appreciate anything you can do to help.

      Pat Delany
      Palestine, Texas
      rigmatch@..."

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...>
      wrote:

      > Has anyone taken a look at http://www.appropedia.org/
      >
      > This looks like a place to put a copy of the Book...
      >
      > David G. LeVine
      > Nashua, NH 03060

      1/7/2007 6:29 PM

    • Charles Mitchard
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 9 7:28 PM
        Pat Delany wrote:
> [...]
        > Multimachine" are available at::
        >
        > Also on the site are plans for electric welders built from vehicle
        > alternators, a design for an easily built hand-powered drill capable
        > of cutting through the hardest steel and an easily-cast metal alloy
        > that is almost as strong as cast iron.
        >
        > It was featured on the "Make" magazine website at:
        > http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/11/the_open_source_1.html
        >

        > To download the plans, you will have to take a few seconds to at least
        > temporarily "join" the Yahoo newsgroup. I regret the necessity of
        > this, but it is the only way the site can handle the huge number of
        > downloads of the 80-page "How to Build a MultiMachine" book.
        >
        > After looking at the site, please help us spread the information about
        > the MultiMachine to those working with people whose lives it could
        > change. Feel free to contact me directly for more information. I will

        Is "open source" the correct term to use here?
        check the definition here http://www.answers.com/topic/open-source

        Would it read better along the lines of

        A patent free, copyright free, Open source machine tool for developing
        countries

        The MultiMachine is a patent free, copyright free, open-source machine
        tool........

        Just a thought as the term "open source" on its own is changing and is
        often not free any more.
        Charles
      • Randy Kramer
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 10 6:38 AM
          On Tuesday 09 January 2007 11:41 am, Pat Delany wrote:
          > David, this is an absolutely wonderful idea!! I would jump on this but
          > I am half sick with some bug that just won't go away. Anyway,
          > finishing the thread follower has to come first.
          > Are there any Wiki experts out there?

          I have some experience, more with TWiki than anything else. Based on a quick
          glance at the site mentioned, that seems to be a MediaWiki.

          > Is it possible to convert a PDF
          > to Wiki format?

          Well, the answer is yes, but there are qualifications:
          * really, the conversion would be to plain text, then someone would have to
          add the necessary wiki markup by hand
          * the conversion from pdf to text is not always "clean", usually requiring
          some amount of manual cleanup
          * the best conversion tools are not free, although perhaps we could get
          some company to "donate" the conversion of one or a few documents.

          I used to have some notes on this kind of stuff (conversion among document
          formats including pdf and ps) but can't find them at the moment.

          Anyway, I'd ask some questions:

          * Which document(s) do you want to convert? Some short advertising type
          blurb or the 80 page manual?
          * Does the document include pictures? (Sorry, I haven't downloaded the
          manual and don't know what is in it.)
          * Do you have the document in some other format (or did you create it
          directly in something like Adobe Acrobat or whatever)?

          If you have the document in some other format, it would probably be just as
          easy (or easier) to work with that rather than a conversion.

          Randy Kramer

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 10 8:33 AM
            Thanks Randy
            The "How to build" book was composed in Open Office which being free
            was all I could afford! The 40meg OO file is now really exceeding
            program limits. A tiny change in text may cause a picture to
            disappear 20 pages farther on! If I can face the book again (I really
            have to do it soon), I will break it into three parts. I think that
            an expanded and more technical version of the book introduction and
            the "send out" along with a good picture will have to do.
            If I wrote some stuff, could you post it for me? Wiki markup would
            be the straw that broke this very old camel's back.

            Pat

            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > temporarily "join" the Yahoo newsgroup. I regret the necessity of
            > > this, but it is the only way the site can handle the huge number
            of
            > > downloads of the 80-page "How to Build a MultiMachine" book.
            > >
            > > After looking at the site, please help us spread the information
            about
            > > the MultiMachine to those working with people whose lives it could
            > > change. Feel free to contact me directly for more information. I
            will
            > > appreciate anything you can do to help.
            > >
            > > Pat Delany
            > > Palestine, Texas
            > > rigmatch@..."
            > >

            > > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@>
            > >
            > > wrote:
            > > > Has anyone taken a look at http://www.appropedia.org/
            > > >
            > > > This looks like a place to put a copy of the Book...

          • Randy Kramer
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 10 9:20 AM
              On Wednesday 10 January 2007 11:33 am, Pat Delany wrote:
              > Thanks Randy
              > The "How to build" book was composed in Open Office which being free
              > was all I could afford! The 40meg OO file is now really exceeding
              > program limits. A tiny change in text may cause a picture to
              > disappear 20 pages farther on! If I can face the book again (I really
              > have to do it soon), I will break it into three parts. I think that
              > an expanded and more technical version of the book introduction and
              > the "send out" along with a good picture will have to do.
              > If I wrote some stuff, could you post it for me? Wiki markup would
              > be the straw that broke this very old camel's back.

              Yes, or at least I'm willing to try. I'm not familiar with the MediaWiki
              markup, but any wiki's goal is to be simple (at least for simple things).

              I'd prefer to have stuff in plain text. If you want some pictures included,
              keep those in separate files.

              I have a dialup line, so I don't want to download a 40 meg file--what happens
              if you go into OO and save the file as (plain) text? I suspect you will lose
              the pictures, if nothing else, but I presume you also have the pictures in
              their own separate files?

              Randy Kramer

              PS: Please don't send any large files to me via email (either pictures or OO
              or whatever). It is much better for me if there is something you want me to
              work with, put it somewhere on the Internet where I can download it from.
              (The tools to do that can handle interruptions much better.)

              If that is not possible, we can consider other alternatives, like sending me a
              CD-Rom, or maybe I can come up with a place where you can put some files for
              me to download. (Yes, I think my ISP gives me a 5 MB space for such, and
              gmail also has some provisions for something like that. I'd have to look
              into it. Hmm, but I think I'd have to give you my email password, and I
              don't really want to do that, nor send it in an email or similar.

              Anyway, let me know. (Oh, I'm sure I won't forget, but if we get to the point
              of sending me a CD-Rom, it would be helpful if you'd load the .pdf and the OO
              files on that (in addition to plain text and separate files for each
              picture)--then I can see the format that you intended if I have any
              questions.)
            • Chris Bryant
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 10 9:26 AM
                I'll throw in that I have a ton of web space available if needed.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 10 10:50 AM
                  On Wednesday 10 January 2007 12:26 pm, Chris Bryant wrote:
                  > I'll throw in that I have a ton of web space available if needed.

                  Well, if you and Pat both have broadband connections (I have dial-up), if
                  nothing else, your web space may be a way to get the files to me (if they are
                  large). Pat could either email it to you for you to put on your web site (do
                  I can download it at my own pace), or Pat could put it on your web site
                  (given the proper authorization and so forth).

                  Randy Kramer

                  > On 01/10/2007 11:33 am, Pat Delany wrote:
                  > > Thanks Randy
                  > > The "How to build" book was composed in Open Office which being free
                  > > was all I could afford! The 40meg OO file is now really exceeding
                  > > program limits. A tiny change in text may cause a picture to
                  > > disappear 20 pages farther on! If I can face the book again (I really
                  > > have to do it soon), I will break it into three parts. I think that
                  > > an expanded and more technical version of the book introduction and
                  > > the "send out" along with a good picture will have to do.
                  > > If I wrote some stuff, could you post it for me? Wiki markup  would
                  > > be the straw that broke this very old camel's back.
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 10 11:51 AM
                    Wiki types

                    It would be great if someone could generate a wikipedia page for the
                    MM. Pat had some great verbage a few pages back that would probably
                    be a great starting point.
                    Jeff

                    wrote:

                    > On Wednesday 10 January 2007 12:26 pm, Chris Bryant wrote:
                    > > I'll throw in that I have a ton of web space available if needed.
                    >
                    > Well, if you and Pat both have broadband connections (I have dial-
                    up), if
                    > nothing else, your web space may be a way to get the files to me
                    (if they are
                    > large). Pat could either email it to you for you to put on your
                    web site (do
                    > I can download it at my own pace), or Pat could put it on your web
                    site
                    > (given the proper authorization and so forth).
                    >
                    > Randy Kramer
                    >
                    > > On 01/10/2007 11:33 am, Pat Delany wrote:
                    > > > Thanks Randy
                    > > > The "How to build" book was composed in Open Office which
                    being free
                    > > > was all I could afford! The 40meg OO file is now really
                    exceeding
                    > > > program limits. A tiny change in text may cause a picture to
                    > > > disappear 20 pages farther on! If I can face the book again (I
                    really
                    > > > have to do it soon), I will break it into three parts. I think
                    that
                    > > > an expanded and more technical version of the book
                    introduction and
                    > > > the "send out" along with a good picture will have to do.
                    > > > If I wrote some stuff, could you post it for me? Wiki
                    markup  would
                    > > > be the straw that broke this very old camel's back.

                  • nilsdavis
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 10 4:58 PM
                      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@...> wrote:

                      > I am half sick with some bug that just won't go away.
                      Get well soon!

                      > Would this "send out" work for a temporary introduction?

                      The new "send out" is the best one yet.

                      Regarding sending it out, there are two tacks that can be taken, in
                      parallel:

                      1. Pat sends it out blind to the big list he's compiled.
                      2. Others on the list who have appropriate contacts send out the same
                      letter, with a personal introduction. This will probably be fewer
                      recipients, but should get a good response due to the personal aspect.

                      The story in the letter will be very compelling to people trying to
                      make a difference in the developing world. You give enough information
                      that recipients can determine very quickly that it's not spam and that
                      the MM is legitimate.

                      I vote that you just pull the trigger on this!

                      Nils
                    • nilsdavis
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 10 5:25 PM
                        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jhan5en@...> wrote:

                        > Wiki types
                        >
                        > It would be great if someone could generate a wikipedia page for the
                        > MM. Pat had some great verbage a few pages back that would probably
                        > be a great starting point.

                        I just took the latest message that Pat put up and reformatted it for
                        Wikipedia, at:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimachine

                        Please review and make any changes necessary.

                        Nils
                        nilsdavis@...
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 10 7:22 PM
                          Thanks again Nils
                          I will pull the trigger starting Monday noon.
                          Pat

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 12 11:08 AM
                            Just as a thought, with Pat's permission the book can be put on the Bittorrent network.  Then the download will never overload a single connection.

                            At 01:50 PM 1/10/2007, you wrote:

                            On Wednesday 10 January 2007 12:26 pm, Chris Bryant wrote:
                            > I'll throw in that I have a ton of web space available if needed.

                            Well, if you and Pat both have broadband connections (I have dial-up), if
                            nothing else, your web space may be a way to get the files to me (if they are
                            large). Pat could either email it to you for you to put on your web site (do
                            I can download it at my own pace), or Pat could put it on your web site
                            (given the proper authorization and so forth).

                            Randy Kramer

                            > On 01/10/2007 11:33 am, Pat Delany wrote:
                            > > Thanks Randy
                            > > The "How to build" book was composed in Open Office which being free
                            > > was all I could afford! The 40meg OO file is now really exceeding
                            > > program limits. A tiny change in text may cause a picture to
                            > > disappear 20 pages farther on! If I can face the book again (I really
                            > > have to do it soon), I will break it into three parts. I think that
                            > > an expanded and more technical version of the book introduction and
                            > > the "send out" along with a good picture will have to do.
                            > > If I wrote some stuff, could you post it for me? Wiki markup  would
                            > > be the straw that broke this very old camel's back.

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                            David G. LeVine
                            Nashua, NH  03060

                          • Chris Bryant
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 12 11:37 AM
                              I've been in touch with Pat, and I'm in the process of setting up a website
                              which should have enough bandwidth to handle it.
                              As soon as my webhost gets some stuff upgraded (which should be any time now
                              (c;) it will be at opensourcemachine.org
                              I'm setting it up so people can upload files to it as well- I've got 250 GB of
                              space and 2500GB/ month of bandwidth- my own site uses a fraction of that.

                              --
                              Chris Bryant
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 12 8:15 PM
                                This is great! There will be room for tutorials and all the Popular
                                Mechanics plans we can get our hands on.

                                Pat