Re: [multimachine] re- Leece Neville Alternator

  • Darwin Wandler
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      My Mack semi had this type of alternator. To make a welder you could open it up and disconnect the regulator connection and feed
      the field with a 12 volt battery. If you want to control the current use a 40Watt potentiometer to set current in field. The + Bat output is
       the stinger and the case the ground for Reverse Polarity most common 7018 rod.  The three phase rectified output is close enough to
      DC to not need a smoothing inductor.

      The field connections are the 2 slip rings connected to the brushes. The output is the buss bar the internal rectifiers connect to. Case is
      ground.  The buss bar in some way is connected to the regulator which you need to cut to get the welder output.
      Darwin

      roscoe_brown_dog wrote:

      I have looked at and read all the links I could find on the net but
      found nothing about Leece Neville. In spite of the fact I was in the
      auto repair business Iused to hide when somebody came in with
      electrical problems. I may have found somebody who re- builds
      alternators and is willing to help.I will try to see him on saturday if
      I get home at a decent time The weather has been terrible and the roads
      even worse. I will try to post any info.

      Tom McGeachan