Re: [multimachine] Re: Leadscrew

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
      >I was wondering, are bicycle chains are the answer ,most bicycle
      >chains and sprockets aren't designed for high speed or high torque
      >service. Most of the larger sprockets are aluminum,and use a 3/32
      >wide chain.Under severe service they would wear out quick.
      > Maybe a larger chain would work better,a#35 chain would be a better
      >size.

      Running a leadscrew for threading is neither high speed nor high
      torque, or I would not have suggested ANY chain. When a chain lets
      go at high speed, it can be VERY damaging.

      As an alternative, has anyone looked at an automotive timing chain
      and sprockets? All are 2:1 and are designed to survive 6,000 RPM
      (with splash lubrication). Timing belts ( for OHC vehicles) are
      designed to handle 6,000 RPM with no lubrication for over 1,000 hours
      of operation. Okay, not as clean as a QC gearbox, but...

      David G. LeVine
      Nashua, NH 03060

      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2006
        As a thought, centerdrill the allthread (yes, an MM will do that
        pretty well with a cheap center drill.)

        Centerdrill a hunk of angle iron on the flat.

        Put a ball from a ball bearing between the two.

        Viola! You now have both a good, low friction thrust bearing and a
        good, low friction radial bearing. A drop of oil or grease to
        prevent galling and thread away.