Why I love transfer screws

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006
      When I was building my MM I faced the problem of how to accurately
      drill a 1/2 x 12" 5 foot long piece of bar stock that bolts to the big
      block head surface. Other problems aggravated the situation. I could
      barely pick up the plate, lighting was bad and my glasses neeeded
      changing but most importantly, I am not a precision worker by any
      stretch of imagination. This is what I did. I put the block on it's
      back with the head surface up and put transfer screws in the top and
      bottom head bolt holes on one side and used these 2 screws to mark an
      aluminum bar, then drilled through the bar and into the plate with a
      1/16" bit. I inserted another transfer screw in another head bolt
      hole, turned the plate over and slid it until the original holes and
      transfer screws "clicked in" and then tapped on the plate to mark the
      third bolt hole. I drilled this spot with the small drill and kept
      repeating the process until all the holes were marked with 1/16"
      holes. I enlarged the holes to 7/16 (no clearance!), screwed 10 short
      7/16 studs in the block. I slid the plate over the studs and it just
      dropped into place! WOW! 10 blind holes in perfect alignment!

      A used head gasket and transfer punches would also work if you were
      very careful.

      Transfer screws also help in drilling the the rear spindle bearing
      flange so that it mates with the main bearing bolt holes. 3 bearing
      spindles are a little unusual and the alignment of this bearing is
      critical.

      Pat
    • Larry Alexander

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2006
          Hi Larry

          I was in the middle of converting the movie script into a book in pdf
          format when I fell down a flight of stairs and damaged my knee so much
          that it had to be totally replaced. a hospital infection and a bad
          drug reaction slowed things down even more. Actually there is enough
          stuff in "files" however to get you going. Look at "Book 6 11 06" and
          the "6" Turret lathe" files very carefully. The "book" file is a
          real mess but if you combine it with the pictures you will find plenty
          to keep you busy.

          Pat

          -- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Larry Alexander <losiros1@...> wrote:

          > Dear Pat;
          >
          > Where can I go on your site for detalis on building a MM? I
          thought that ou would have plans and I am always looking for such. I
          like what you did because machaning worl where where I live is
          veryexpensive. I can get my hands on engine blocks.

          > Larry Alexander
          >
          > Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:
          > When I was building my MM I faced the problem of how to
          accurately
          > drill a 1/2 x 12" 5 foot long piece of bar stock that bolts to the big
          > block head surface. Other problems aggravated the situation. I could
          > barely pick up the plate, lighting was bad and my glasses neeeded
          > changing but most importantly, I am not a precision worker by any
          > stretch of imagination. This is what I did. I put the block on it's
          > back with the head surface up and put transfer screws in the top and
          > bottom head bolt holes on one side and used these 2 screws to mark an
          > aluminum bar, then drilled through the bar and into the plate with a
          > 1/16" bit. I inserted another transfer screw in another head bolt
          > hole, turned the plate over and slid it until the original holes and
          > transfer screws "clicked in" and then tapped on the plate to mark the
          > third bolt hole. I drilled this spot with the small drill and kept
          > repeating the process until all the holes were marked with 1/16"
          > holes. I enlarged the holes to 7/16 (no clearance!), screwed 10 short
          > 7/16 studs in the block. I slid the plate over the studs and it just
          > dropped into place! WOW! 10 blind holes in perfect alignment!
          >
          > A used head gasket and transfer punches would also work if you were
          > very careful.
          >
          > Transfer screws also help in drilling the the rear spindle bearing
          > flange so that it mates with the main bearing bolt holes. 3 bearing
          > spindles are a little unusual and the alignment of this bearing is
          > critical.
          >
          > Pat
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Sneak preview the all-new Yahoo.com. It's not radically different.
          Just radically better.

        • Larry Alexander
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 13, 2006
            Hello Pat;
            I am so sorry to hear that you are hurt. You are alive and that is what is most important. I lost my mother last year due to complications after a knee replacement operation so you are okay. I hope that you get better and can carry on as usual. You do good things for people who you don't even know personally, and that is something you have to look very hard to find in this world. I would look for the information that you specified and will keep you up dated about my progress. Thank you again.

            Sincerely;
            Larry

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2006
              Thanks a lot Larry

              I hope that the book will make it easier to build in any one of 4 or 5
              versions.