Making a lathe from first principles

  • ian_new
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2014

      Hi,

      As suggested I've uploaded a document that describes how to make a lathe without using any measuring tools.

      I was unable to find a couple of the drawings - when I locate them I'll update the document.

      I usually go through the construction with my students, so a lot of "chat" takes place which is missing from the text - would someone be kind enough to read the document and see if it makes sense in the absence of the "talking".

      The document is in the files section and is called "Making a lathe from first principles"

      All the best,

      Ian

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2014
          This is a really useful document. I especially like the temporary boring method and the tail stock quill feed. I was able to follow along ok. I opened up two windows on the document so I could read along and reference the diagrams without scrolling up and down.

          Thanks for taking the time.

          John

          On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM, ian_new@... [multimachine] <multimachine@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi,

          As suggested I've uploaded a document that describes how to make a lathe without using any measuring tools.

          I was unable to find a couple of the drawings - when I locate them I'll update the document.

          I usually go through the construction with my students, so a lot of "chat" takes place which is missing from the text - would someone be kind enough to read the document and see if it makes sense in the absence of the "talking".

          The document is in the files section and is called "Making a lathe from first principles"

          All the best,

          Ian

        • Wade Gillingham

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2014
              Hello Ian,
              I read this document with real pleasure. There are plenty of good things in it. I liked the two balls center trick.
              Two problems remain: the use of a T bar as a bed which is not optimal : the bed lathe is prone to torsion and vibration allowing only light cuts (I tried that myself with an I bar for an 'a la Gingery' lathe), and in page 39 the two rolls which are not supported and which will fall down.
              In order to increase the rigidity of the bed, perhaps a solution could be , instead of cutting two small chuncks of T bar for the feet, to have two L bars riveted or soldered all along the bed, thus serving as feet and altogether as reinforcers?

              Friendly tours

              Claude