http://makezine.com/magazine/make-37/patdelany/

  • rigmatch
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2014
      The online version of MAKE 37 fired up yesterday and the shares/likes count is doing well.

      To the serious stuff:
      My spine problems are worsening daily so I am having the dreaded surgery on 2/26 and I have no idea how long recovery will take since my immune system seems to have no resistance to any kind of infection.
      I want to get started on an application to this http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/02/03/announcing-first-white-house-maker-faire and I would like to have a working lathe as a demo.
      I need someone to scale the lathe down to a 6" gap between 24" long, 1" ways.  Since we don't have Tyler Disney to redraw the plans, we need to stick with the original design as much as possible. I don't think that there will be room for the cross slide hold down bolts so epoxy will be probably be used at first. As more lathes get built, we will use builder's and user's experiences to re-design and re-draw the plans.
      My son in Austin will make the metal parts but I will need someone to build the concrete bed and carriage.

      What do you think?
      Pat
    • Onnie Winebarger
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014
        ------------------------------
        On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 9:08 AM PST rigmatch@... wrote:

        >The online version of MAKE 37 fired up yesterday and the shares/likes count is doing well.
        >
        > To the serious stuff:
        > My spine problems are worsening daily so I am having the dreaded surgery on 2/26 and I have no idea how long recovery will take since my immune system seems to have no resistance to any kind of infection.
        > I want to get started on an application to this http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/02/03/announcing-first-white-house-maker-faire http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/02/03/announcing-first-white-house-maker-faire and I would like to have a working lathe as a demo.
        > I need someone to scale the lathe down to a 6" gap between 24" long, 1" ways. Since we don't have Tyler Disney to redraw the plans, we need to stick with the original design as much as possible. I don't think that there will be room for the cross slide hold down bolts so epoxy will be probably be used at first. As more lathes get built, we will use builder's and user's experiences to re-design and re-draw the plans.
        > My son in Austin will make the metal parts but I will need someone to build the concrete bed and carriage.
        >

        > What do you think?
        > Pat

        For a small size lathe, stick to precision non-shrink grout for the whole casting.
        Even when mixed to fluid consistency it is stronger than ordinary concrete according to Quickcrete specs (8000 psi at 28 days). And you will want fluid consistency if you put rebar and pipe in a small mold.
        Plus you won't need to wait for shrinkage to fix the ways and the spindle.

        Lynn
      • rigmatch
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014
          Thanks Guys
          Grout would be fine with me. I hope someone can suggest a fast hardening and non shrinking material for this demo model. The delicate way alignment process needs a hardened bed as a first step and even though carriage alignment is automatic (just concrete connects the two sides) a hard carriage is a necessary step in aligning the spindle. The spindle is used to align the cross slide and tailstock Morse taper socket.
          A slow process but better than the 13 to 19 alignment frames that Yeomans used.

          Pat
        • rigmatch
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014
            Forgot to mention that it had to work in big section like the headstock also. Quick setting grout usually is for cracks and patches (I think). Anyone have a friend at Quickcrete?

            Pat
          • owinebar1
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014
              The non shrink grout is about 3 times as expensive at home depot, but for less than 2 or 3 cubic feet the actual $ difference is not huge.  A 55 lb of non shrink grout is supposed to make .42 cubic feet, while an 80lb bag of standard 5000 psi concrete makes .47 cubic ft (if memory serves).  The bag of concrete was about $5 and the grout was about $14 per bag.  For 2-6 bags you are looking at about $20-55 difference.

              The headstock will have more obstacles in a smaller space than the bed, with rebar, 3 large pipes across, and 3 smaller but longer pipes vertical.  If the molds for the headstock and foot (ways) can be assembled after pouring the bed, you will have an easier time being sure you do not have voids in the casting.

              From what I can tell, grout refers to concrete with only fine grained aggregate, so Romig's mixture might be called a grout.  But I am no concrete expert.

              Lynn
            • rigmatch
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 14, 2014
                Got this from Quickcrete

                FastSet Non Shrink grout would be the best option, followed by the other two non-shrink grouts (Precision and General Purpose). Attached are technical data sheets on the products for your review

                 3 Attachments

                  • CGFS Nonshrink Grout 1585-09
                    .pdf
                  • Non-Shrink Precision Grout 1585-00
                    .pdf
                  • Non-Shrink General Purpose Grout 1585-01
                    .pdf