Dimensions

  • hgodts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2014
      Hi!

      I want to build this concrete lathe, but i can't seem to find the files/pictures/atachtments that contain all the dimensions, even though I searched for them. Would you be so kind to give them to me?

      Thanks A Lot!

      Hadrien
    • Eggleston Lance
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2014
        You can build it whatever size you need,
        from 24" bed to 60" bed.

        lance
        ++++

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2014
          I am going to try to add details to this

          1 Read the Make "how to build" several times

          2 Read the earlier instructions at http://concretelathe.wikispaces.com/home. In many ways these earlier instructions were better than the ones on Make because of the difficulty of converting from the Wiki format to the format Make was using at the time I made the changeover.

          3 Realize that all my designs are based on using "found" or scrap box materials. If you live in an area that has cheap lathes (Craig's list), this may well be the cheapest way to go.

          4 The instructions mention "weighted carriages" several times. Weighted carriages are basically carriages that are held down be the weight of the carriage. This used to be more widely used than it is now but most lathes are at least partially the weighted design. I used it because it was simple and easily made even though later in the design process, below the way clamps were added.

          5 These were the ideas I used (As I remember, it was 4 years ago):

          The concrete part of the carriage should be at least 6" wide at the most narrow point.

          It would be at least 8" tall and probably about 9 to 10" long.

          To make this fit, the gap between the ways would probably be at least 8"

          I am going to assume the ways will be about 1 5/16" (don't ask me why, it is a long story!)

          A 1/2" space around the ways is added to have space for the grout. An accurately modeled frame could shave 1/4" off this.

          2" of grout/concrete should be on the side of each way for safety.

          Add all this up and the bed should be about 16" wide. Tyler and I shaved it down as much as we could to make the 14" version shown in step 5 of the "how to build".

          Best answer is to find the steel for the ways,and the angle iron for the shoes then model the whole thing in plywood.

          If the clamp design would work out then it is possible that a more narrow carriage and  smaller diameter ways would allow a 12" wide bed (I think)

          Pat