Nicknames for the various machines?

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2013
      I just realized that I and others are actually discussing separate machines and their development. Should we have abbreviations or something to distinguish them. I.e. OMM(original engine block multimachine) CBL(Cement Bodied Lathe) BTL(bolt together lathe) MMM(Manual Mazak type Machine)? Then possibly follow it with a revision number if applicable, such as "any ideas on CBL2's mounting legs?".

      Just a thought, might save some confusion.
      I'm probably also missing some machinery discussed too!
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2013
        A very good point Dennis.  Problem is that I need to remember what they are!

        how about:
        MM (inspired by a George Ewan design)
        concrete lathe (inspired by a 1915 Yeomans cannon shell maker)
        aux spindle (inspired by the Versa Mil)
        bolt together lathe (Popular Science)
        universal machine (Romig)
        thread follower (I think by a 110 year old Machinery magazine)
        A Mazak machine would maybe be a stout concrete lathe with an aux spindle driven by an outboard shaft inspired by a universal machine overhead drive.
        All the machines could have a thread follower (inspired by a 1906 Scientific American)

        I only steal from the best!

        Pat

        I just realized that I and others are actually discussing separate machines and their development. Should we have abbreviations or something to distinguish them. I.e. OMM(original engine block multimachine) CBL(Cement Bodied Lathe) BTL(bolt together lathe) MMM(Manual Mazak type Machine)? Then possibly follow it with a revision number if applicable, such as "any ideas on CBL2's mounting legs?".

        Just a thought, might save some confusion.
        I'm probably also missing some machinery discussed too!

      • Simon Forget
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2013
          I like this idea. I'm getting confused too with all those different machines. I might end up building an hybrid out of all those ideas… :-)

          Simon

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2013
            On 09/10/2013 03:43 PM, Dennis wrote:
            > I just realized that I and others are actually discussing separate machines and their development. Should we have abbreviations or something to distinguish them. I.e. OMM(original engine block multimachine) CBL(Cement Bodied Lathe) BTL(bolt together lathe) MMM(Manual Mazak type Machine)? Then possibly follow it with a revision number if applicable, such as "any ideas on CBL2's mounting legs?".
            >
            > Just a thought, might save some confusion.
            > I'm probably also missing some machinery discussed too!

            Good point! There is a problem with the crossover tooling, like why
            tapered cast bushings are desirable in a spindle, which applies to ALL
            lathes and MOST milling machines.

            As to tapered bushings, most (if not all) spindles need to have endplay
            controlled. Straight bushings need thrust bearings. Tapered bushings do
            not need thrust bushings and wear rounder as they wear. Timken type
            tapered roller bearings show similar advantages.

            advice."

            Bill Cosby
          • serge.vereecke
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 11, 2013

               Nothing wrong if that hybrid works.

              But if it tries to turn on you , end it's life.

              Nothing worse than a Frankenmachine that want's to kill you. ; ) :$

              Serge.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013
                On 09/11/2013 05:38 PM, serge.vereecke@... wrote:

                > Nothing worse than a Frankenmachine that want's to kill you. ; ) :$

                Hey, I used to drive one!

                advice."