Re: [multimachine] RE: New machine badly needed

    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 31, 2013
      On 08/31/2013 04:47 PM, keith gutshall wrote:

      Hi David
       I was thinking use a piece of Sch#80 pipe for the long bed part, and shooting it full
      of some of that foam insulation  stuff.
       The thicker wall would be stiffer and hold tapped screws better.

       Keith

      I agree.  SCH80 should be stronger, catalyzed foam will damp out vibrations, more metal means stronger screw connections.

      Now for a "How does he know this?" comment.  Don't even try to use the foam in a can stuff for this, it won't cure in the middle!  I won't even try to tell you how messy this can be.

      "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 1, 2013
        On 08/31/2013 11:08 PM, louis richardson wrote:
        i am sure any oil field pipe that is bent wll not be sent back over seas from where it came.

        Just to note, non-straight pipe, 2 lally columns and a rope loop with a stick can apply enough force to bend the pipe straight, a hydraulic jack and a "U" frame  will work better.

        Start with a pipe and use a surface plate (monument stones work well), to find a high spot.  Apply pressure to the high spot to move it slightly beyond the final target position.  This is one of those "feel" things, after a while you will know just how much beyond the target you need to go.  It will vary depending on the pipe and phase of the moon, but you should be able to get below 0.001" run out pretty quickly.

        If you don't believe me, try it with some scrap, it works surprisingly well.

        Now, on monument stones, when granite is blanked for gravestones and government buildings, even a small flaw can make it unsaleable.  The remaining options are: *Total loss, *use it as raw scrap, *find a buyer.  If after significant work to the monument stone (gravestone, for example), the stone is to be discarded, someone who covers the cost of raw materials and labor may be very welcome.  Sometimes, a six-pack of beer on a hot day will get you a broken headstone missing a corner.

        "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."