Re: [multimachine] RE: New machine badly needed

  • Chris Tofu
    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 31, 2013
      Well there would be flexing if the diameter of the workpiece was 1/2 or greater the pipes diameter I'm guessing. And remember, whereas discrepancies away from round (out of round or due to warping) in the vertical direction should result in minimal error in the diameter of the turnings, sideway discrepancies are reflected in the final work 1:1. If you have say for instance an elliptical situation from center lines of the ways sideways, or flexing, your accuracy is going to suffer correspondingly. Therefore an old pipe might need some truing. Perhaps lapping in a poured concrete cradle? Poured up to the center line of the pipe or thereabots.

      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 1, 2013
        On 08/31/2013 11:08 PM, louis richardson wrote:
        i am sure any oil field pipe that is bent wll not be sent back over seas from where it came.

        Just to note, non-straight pipe, 2 lally columns and a rope loop with a stick can apply enough force to bend the pipe straight, a hydraulic jack and a "U" frame  will work better.

        Start with a pipe and use a surface plate (monument stones work well), to find a high spot.  Apply pressure to the high spot to move it slightly beyond the final target position.  This is one of those "feel" things, after a while you will know just how much beyond the target you need to go.  It will vary depending on the pipe and phase of the moon, but you should be able to get below 0.001" run out pretty quickly.

        If you don't believe me, try it with some scrap, it works surprisingly well.

        Now, on monument stones, when granite is blanked for gravestones and government buildings, even a small flaw can make it unsaleable.  The remaining options are: *Total loss, *use it as raw scrap, *find a buyer.  If after significant work to the monument stone (gravestone, for example), the stone is to be discarded, someone who covers the cost of raw materials and labor may be very welcome.  Sometimes, a six-pack of beer on a hot day will get you a broken headstone missing a corner.

        "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."