Re: [multimachine] Re: New machine badly needed/an answer maybe

    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 30, 2013
      Hi Simon
      I assumed that most people  would use concrete. I was going to suggest a wooden strip be bolted to the top of the inside of the pipe so that additional tapped holes could be added if needed in the "frame".

      I had hoped to get more people involved in this "idea". I am 78 and should not trust myself but  this seems like an idea that is worth more study.

      If removed from the big pipe "frame", it could be easily transportable.
      It could be made "apartment" size.
      It could be used to turn and thread a spindle for a larger lathe by working between centers.
      If a simple faceplate was added, it could machine aluminum adapters for the roller bearings on a larger lathe.

      Because of the small support area for the cross slide, it will always be a light duty machine but that can be coped with by working slowly and gently.

      Comments please!!!!!!!

      Pat

      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 1, 2013
        On 08/31/2013 11:08 PM, louis richardson wrote:
        i am sure any oil field pipe that is bent wll not be sent back over seas from where it came.

        Just to note, non-straight pipe, 2 lally columns and a rope loop with a stick can apply enough force to bend the pipe straight, a hydraulic jack and a "U" frame  will work better.

        Start with a pipe and use a surface plate (monument stones work well), to find a high spot.  Apply pressure to the high spot to move it slightly beyond the final target position.  This is one of those "feel" things, after a while you will know just how much beyond the target you need to go.  It will vary depending on the pipe and phase of the moon, but you should be able to get below 0.001" run out pretty quickly.

        If you don't believe me, try it with some scrap, it works surprisingly well.

        Now, on monument stones, when granite is blanked for gravestones and government buildings, even a small flaw can make it unsaleable.  The remaining options are: *Total loss, *use it as raw scrap, *find a buyer.  If after significant work to the monument stone (gravestone, for example), the stone is to be discarded, someone who covers the cost of raw materials and labor may be very welcome.  Sometimes, a six-pack of beer on a hot day will get you a broken headstone missing a corner.

        "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."