Re: [multimachine] New machine badly needed

  • Chris Tofu
    Message 1 of 49 , Aug 23, 2013
      ------------------------------
      On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 9:52 AM PDT Chris Tofu wrote:

      > When boring the head, you use the leadscrew to propel it into the pillow block boring bar, the h/s travelling along the ways like a carriage. I suppose this could be done with round ways somehow, just loads more straitforward with rectangular ways. You could build the foundation of a Gingery or romig lathe w/pblocks and use that to bore anything you want. But now that I'm thinking about it, it could be done w/o having to build a separate boring apparatus.

      Now what could be useful when attempting to create bores with round bar ways is 3 sets of pillow blocks, 2 w/the bearings removed. Those 2 (ugh maybe 4, getting expensive), with their own bores of suitable diameter, could be slid onto the ways, and their flat mounting surfaces used to mount the actual boring blocks, and the actual piece being bored.

      If anyone happens to know of parts that have a bore between 1 - 2" I suppose and has a flat mounting surface that's parallel to the axis of the bored (essential just a cube with a hole bored through it), please inform.
      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 1, 2013
        On 08/31/2013 11:08 PM, louis richardson wrote:
        i am sure any oil field pipe that is bent wll not be sent back over seas from where it came.

        Just to note, non-straight pipe, 2 lally columns and a rope loop with a stick can apply enough force to bend the pipe straight, a hydraulic jack and a "U" frame  will work better.

        Start with a pipe and use a surface plate (monument stones work well), to find a high spot.  Apply pressure to the high spot to move it slightly beyond the final target position.  This is one of those "feel" things, after a while you will know just how much beyond the target you need to go.  It will vary depending on the pipe and phase of the moon, but you should be able to get below 0.001" run out pretty quickly.

        If you don't believe me, try it with some scrap, it works surprisingly well.

        Now, on monument stones, when granite is blanked for gravestones and government buildings, even a small flaw can make it unsaleable.  The remaining options are: *Total loss, *use it as raw scrap, *find a buyer.  If after significant work to the monument stone (gravestone, for example), the stone is to be discarded, someone who covers the cost of raw materials and labor may be very welcome.  Sometimes, a six-pack of beer on a hot day will get you a broken headstone missing a corner.

        "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."