Re: [multimachine] Re: Poor mans ball screw?

  • Eggleston Lance
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
  • Kobus Van der Walt
    Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
      what about this?
      http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:112718

      On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 2:41 AM, Pat <rigmatch@...> wrote:

      Thanks Philip

      Wish I could see the original post the comments referred to.

      My idea is different in that an unthreaded length of plastic is forced into a threaded screw. In all honesty, I don't know whether the idea is crazy or not. What I do know is that the original 100 year old technique that uses a block of wood works very well in my thread follower.

      Pat

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Philip X. Diaz" <pxdiaz@...> wrote:

      > That sounds very similar to this technique for making zero-backlash
      > leadscrew nuts from delrin/acetal:
      >
      > http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/43645-Making-Acetal-leadscrew-nuts-the-easy-way
      >

      > On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Pat <rigmatch@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > Use my thread follower idea of a screw rubbing against a wooden block but
      > > instead use an acme thread and something like nylon. Keep the block tight
      > > and run the screw back and forth until a thread starts in the block.
      > >
      > > Idea is for low friction, accurate (averages out thread imperfections) and
      > > little or no backlash if the plastic block is kept snug.
      > >
      > > Might work for home CNC, more likely to work with a lathe x,y.
      > >
      > > Is this the start of an idea?
      > >
      > > Pat

    • Jose Manuel Luis
      Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2013
        Great link!
        It'll be usefull.

        Jose

        Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2013
          On 08/07/2013 01:18 AM, Kobus Van der Walt wrote:

          what about this?
          http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:112718

          A good idea for a closed loop control system, but in an open loop system, 1% errors during travel are not uncommon.

          "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."