Re: [multimachine] Re: Today's 2+ Gig machining file upload all in one place

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 14, 2013
      This is a great book!

      Pat

      From: pokerbacken <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      To: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:18 AM
      Subject: [multimachine] Re: Today's 2+ Gig machining file upload all in one place

      Speaking about old machining books, the book "The watchmakers' lathe, its use and abuse" has several useful work-holding devises I have found of use, it also has other useful stuff like grinding attachments and wheel cutting attachments.
      mine is a paper copy, but from what I seen in the link below after quick skim no different from the online version.

      http://archive.org/details/watchmakerslathe00good

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

      > Why so many old books? The answer is one word "workholding". Different slants on how to hold the workpiece are worth a lot if your resources are limited.
      >
      > Pat

    • pokerbacken
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 15, 2013
        yes, a watchmaker/instrumentmaker more or less make everything on the lathe to high pressision and is more or less self going as to toolmaking... mainly because "everything" in the buissness was poorly standardized untill late thirties (if at all), so to repair old stuff we make tools as we go in many cases, and we still have to keep pressision.
        scaling many of these things up would work well in many cases I think.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 15, 2013
          That's what my efforts are all about, to give people a Chinese menu of different ways to make very low cost tools and to let mechanical people mix and match ways of doing things.
          It would be great to have a mindset equally comfortable with concrete, scrap, Romig and watchmaker's techniques.

          Pat