Re: [multimachine] Today's 2+ Gig machining file upload all in one place

  • David Hair
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 13 9:25 AM

    Pat, Do you have this on lathe bed design,
    Message 2 of 13 , Jul 13 10:25 AM
      Thanks David
      I added it (I think). Don't know how long it takes to update.

      Pat

      Message 3 of 13 , Jul 13 3:36 PM
        On 07/13/2013 12:25 PM, David Hair wrote:

        Attachment(s) from David Hair

        1 of 1 File(s)

        David,

        Very good find.

        "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

        Message 4 of 13 , Jul 13 3:49 PM
          We owe so much to Joe Romig, I hope we have everything he did but I am afraid we don't.

          Pat

          Message 5 of 13 , Jul 13 8:57 PM
            Why so many old books? The answer is one word "workholding". Different slants on how to hold the workpiece are worth a lot if your resources are limited.

            Pat

            We owe so much to Joe Romig, I hope we have everything he did but I am afraid we don't.

            Pat

            On 07/13/2013 12:25 PM, David Hair wrote:
            Attachment(s) from David Hair
            1 of 1 File(s)

            David,

            Very good find.

            "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

            Bill Cosby

          • pokerbacken
            Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14 3:18 AM
              Speaking about old machining books, the book "The watchmakers' lathe, its use and abuse" has several useful work-holding devises I have found of use, it also has other useful stuff like grinding attachments and wheel cutting attachments.
              mine is a paper copy, but from what I seen in the link below after quick skim no different from the online version.

              http://archive.org/details/watchmakerslathe00good

              Message 7 of 13 , Jul 14 9:56 AM
                This is a great book!

                Pat

                Speaking about old machining books, the book "The watchmakers' lathe, its use and abuse" has several useful work-holding devises I have found of use, it also has other useful stuff like grinding attachments and wheel cutting attachments.
                mine is a paper copy, but from what I seen in the link below after quick skim no different from the online version.

                http://archive.org/details/watchmakerslathe00good

                --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

                > Why so many old books? The answer is one word "workholding". Different slants on how to hold the workpiece are worth a lot if your resources are limited.
                >
                > Pat

              • pokerbacken
                Message 8 of 13 , Jul 15 8:43 AM
                  yes, a watchmaker/instrumentmaker more or less make everything on the lathe to high pressision and is more or less self going as to toolmaking... mainly because "everything" in the buissness was poorly standardized untill late thirties (if at all), so to repair old stuff we make tools as we go in many cases, and we still have to keep pressision.
                  scaling many of these things up would work well in many cases I think.

                  Message 9 of 13 , Jul 15 11:49 AM
                    That's what my efforts are all about, to give people a Chinese menu of different ways to make very low cost tools and to let mechanical people mix and match ways of doing things.
                    It would be great to have a mindset equally comfortable with concrete, scrap, Romig and watchmaker's techniques.

                    Pat