Re: [multimachine] Are there any stories and videos of multimachines running?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
      Thanks Pierre
      You are a good guy.

      A reason for the low level of chatter is the massively over designed spindle. With a big pulley and a 6" chuck it weighs well over 100 pounds.

      Pat

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
        Can we start a youtube channel. Blip won't work for me

        ------------------------------

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
          On 07/01/2013 11:49 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
          > IMPORTANT (maybe!) last night it occurred to me that the answer was
          > staring me in the face. A wooden (or plastic) block like that used on
          > the thread follower could also be used on the cross slide instead of
          > the commonly used nut. A wooden block could average out the crossfeed
          > thread imperfections and it could remove most (or all) backlash. This
          > would seem pretty cool since I have never seen a cross slide without
          > considerable backlash.

          Actually, having seen CNC lathes before with ball screws, I have seen a
          few with under 0.0005" (yes 1/2 of a thousandth) backlash. It can be
          done, often is has been done but manually operated lathes where the
          cutting is only in one direction tend to be less needful of that
          embellishment.

          And many inaccurate lathes are both very precise and very repeatable,
          resulting in quite good work. A lathe with a straight bed and
          repeatable positioning can do incredible work with the right operator.

          advice."

          Bill Cosby
        • Steve Wan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
            Hi Guys

            Here's the video of a DIY lathe, not sure the base contains any filled
            cement or at the headstock. Very impressive and easy to build.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmpFI1kDww

            Steve Wan

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
              HI Guys
               Maybe the bachlash on a leadscrew is some where besides the threads.
               On my mil-drill table there is clearence where the screw goes thriugh the casting.
               The handle has some slack so you can turn it.
               There is an adjustment nut on the outside, but if you get it to tight the knob will
              not turn.

              On 07/01/2013 11:49 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
              > IMPORTANT (maybe!) last night it occurred to me that the answer was
              > staring me in the face. A wooden (or plastic) block like that used on
              > the thread follower could also be used on the cross slide instead of
              > the commonly used nut. A wooden block could average out the crossfeed
              > thread imperfections and it could remove most (or all) backlash. This
              > would seem pretty cool since I have never seen a cross slide without
              > considerable backlash.

              Actually, having seen CNC lathes before with ball screws, I have seen a
              few with under 0.0005" (yes 1/2 of a thousandth) backlash. It can be
              done, often is has been done but manually operated lathes where the
              cutting is only in one direction tend to be less needful of that
              embellishment.

              And many inaccurate lathes are both very precise and very repeatable,
              resulting in quite good work. A lathe with a straight bed and
              repeatable positioning can do incredible work with the right operator.

              advice."

              Bill Cosby
            • chris green
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                My Ad blocker stopped the video from running, at least until the ads on it finished playing. Wait 90 seconds and maybe it'll start for you. Or you can watch the 30-40 seconds of ads that pay for the site.... :-)

                Cheers,

                Chris Green

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Thanks guys, The 2007 video is really both bad and obsolete. Storebought cross feeds have gotten too expensive to use but the crossfeed from the concrete lathe combined with a Romig style bed would be easy and relatively cheap. Heavy springs should be added to pull the blocks together when milling on the Y axis (IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THE LOGICAL THING AND LEAN THE WHOLE THING BACKWARDS SO THAT THE BLOCKS WILL STAY TOGETHER WHEN THE CLAMPS ARE LOOSENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                    On 07/02/2013 01:31 PM, keith gutshall wrote:
                    HI Guys
                     Maybe the bachlash on a leadscrew is some where besides the threads.
                     On my mil-drill table there is clearence where the screw goes thriugh the casting.
                     The handle has some slack so you can turn it.
                     There is an adjustment nut on the outside, but if you get it to tight the knob will
                    not turn.

                    Keith,

                    I have seen that, usually it means the casting into which the lead screw goes is not well machined.  Try some "few thou at a time" facing cuts to get the surfaces true.

                    "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

                    Bill Cosby
                  • Kobus Van der Walt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                      hi a friend of mine and member of www.house4hack.co.za use a masonry drill bit for lead screw- 200 step stepper motor- in 3D printing. Over here we buy it for $15. I know this has been mentioned before.

                      The nut is made from PLA or ABS plastic. And since it is his Z axis(the one that go up and down?) he use gravity for anti backlash. But i moved the axis - there is very little play on. He senses his printing bed and do levelling with software- so his Z axis move up and down all the time. And in 3D printing the tolerances are very fine as well. So maybe gravity can also be used in machine design for this "problem"?

                      regards
                      Kobus

                      On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Steve Wan <stewan@...> wrote:

                      Hi Guys

                      Here's the video of a DIY lathe, not sure the base contains any filled
                      cement or at the headstock. Very impressive and easy to build.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmpFI1kDww

                      Steve Wan

                      On 7/2/13, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:
                      > On 07/01/2013 11:49 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
                      >> IMPORTANT (maybe!) last night it occurred to me that the answer was
                      >> staring me in the face. A wooden (or plastic) block like that used on
                      >> the thread follower could also be used on the cross slide instead of
                      >> the commonly used nut. A wooden block could average out the crossfeed
                      >> thread imperfections and it could remove most (or all) backlash. This
                      >> would seem pretty cool since I have never seen a cross slide without
                      >> considerable backlash.
                      >
                      > Actually, having seen CNC lathes before with ball screws, I have seen a
                      > few with under 0.0005" (yes 1/2 of a thousandth) backlash. It can be
                      > done, often is has been done but manually operated lathes where the
                      > cutting is only in one direction tend to be less needful of that
                      > embellishment.
                      >
                      > And many inaccurate lathes are both very precise and very repeatable,
                      > resulting in quite good work. A lathe with a straight bed and
                      > repeatable positioning can do incredible work with the right operator.

                      > "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the
                      > advice."
                      >
                      > Bill Cosby

                      > Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool
                      > construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.
                      > -------------Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Kobus Van der Walt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                        Or just do what Pat said. Use gravity, available in abundance and free. And in any bearing nut there have to be play- otherwise it cant work.