Re: [multimachine] Are there any stories and videos of multimachines running?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
      Pat posted some footage a few years back:

      http://blip.tv/bryantrv/multi-machine-walkthrough-1381435

      Go about a minute in, and watch him torture test it trying to make it chatter.  I've had guys who operate million dollar machines stand there with their jaws dropped open at the thought that a home-built could take such abuse.

      On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Petera <apples0_17@...> wrote:

      Are there any links to these multimachines that other people have built. I'd like to see some videos footage of cutting and machining with one.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
        Thanks Pierre
        You are a good guy.

        A reason for the low level of chatter is the massively over designed spindle. With a big pulley and a 6" chuck it weighs well over 100 pounds.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
          Can we start a youtube channel. Blip won't work for me

          ------------------------------

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2013
            On 07/01/2013 11:49 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
            > IMPORTANT (maybe!) last night it occurred to me that the answer was
            > staring me in the face. A wooden (or plastic) block like that used on
            > the thread follower could also be used on the cross slide instead of
            > the commonly used nut. A wooden block could average out the crossfeed
            > thread imperfections and it could remove most (or all) backlash. This
            > would seem pretty cool since I have never seen a cross slide without
            > considerable backlash.

            Actually, having seen CNC lathes before with ball screws, I have seen a
            few with under 0.0005" (yes 1/2 of a thousandth) backlash. It can be
            done, often is has been done but manually operated lathes where the
            cutting is only in one direction tend to be less needful of that
            embellishment.

            And many inaccurate lathes are both very precise and very repeatable,
            resulting in quite good work. A lathe with a straight bed and
            repeatable positioning can do incredible work with the right operator.

            advice."

            Bill Cosby
          • Steve Wan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
              Hi Guys

              Here's the video of a DIY lathe, not sure the base contains any filled
              cement or at the headstock. Very impressive and easy to build.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmpFI1kDww

              Steve Wan

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                HI Guys
                 Maybe the bachlash on a leadscrew is some where besides the threads.
                 On my mil-drill table there is clearence where the screw goes thriugh the casting.
                 The handle has some slack so you can turn it.
                 There is an adjustment nut on the outside, but if you get it to tight the knob will
                not turn.

                On 07/01/2013 11:49 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
                > IMPORTANT (maybe!) last night it occurred to me that the answer was
                > staring me in the face. A wooden (or plastic) block like that used on
                > the thread follower could also be used on the cross slide instead of
                > the commonly used nut. A wooden block could average out the crossfeed
                > thread imperfections and it could remove most (or all) backlash. This
                > would seem pretty cool since I have never seen a cross slide without
                > considerable backlash.

                Actually, having seen CNC lathes before with ball screws, I have seen a
                few with under 0.0005" (yes 1/2 of a thousandth) backlash. It can be
                done, often is has been done but manually operated lathes where the
                cutting is only in one direction tend to be less needful of that
                embellishment.

                And many inaccurate lathes are both very precise and very repeatable,
                resulting in quite good work. A lathe with a straight bed and
                repeatable positioning can do incredible work with the right operator.

                advice."

                Bill Cosby
              • chris green
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                  My Ad blocker stopped the video from running, at least until the ads on it finished playing. Wait 90 seconds and maybe it'll start for you. Or you can watch the 30-40 seconds of ads that pay for the site.... :-)

                  Cheers,

                  Chris Green

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Thanks guys, The 2007 video is really both bad and obsolete. Storebought cross feeds have gotten too expensive to use but the crossfeed from the concrete lathe combined with a Romig style bed would be easy and relatively cheap. Heavy springs should be added to pull the blocks together when milling on the Y axis (IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THE LOGICAL THING AND LEAN THE WHOLE THING BACKWARDS SO THAT THE BLOCKS WILL STAY TOGETHER WHEN THE CLAMPS ARE LOOSENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

                    Pat

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                      On 07/02/2013 01:31 PM, keith gutshall wrote:
                      HI Guys
                       Maybe the bachlash on a leadscrew is some where besides the threads.
                       On my mil-drill table there is clearence where the screw goes thriugh the casting.
                       The handle has some slack so you can turn it.
                       There is an adjustment nut on the outside, but if you get it to tight the knob will
                      not turn.

                      Keith,

                      I have seen that, usually it means the casting into which the lead screw goes is not well machined.  Try some "few thou at a time" facing cuts to get the surfaces true.

                      "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

                      Bill Cosby
                    • Kobus Van der Walt
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                        hi a friend of mine and member of www.house4hack.co.za use a masonry drill bit for lead screw- 200 step stepper motor- in 3D printing. Over here we buy it for $15. I know this has been mentioned before.

                        The nut is made from PLA or ABS plastic. And since it is his Z axis(the one that go up and down?) he use gravity for anti backlash. But i moved the axis - there is very little play on. He senses his printing bed and do levelling with software- so his Z axis move up and down all the time. And in 3D printing the tolerances are very fine as well. So maybe gravity can also be used in machine design for this "problem"?

                        regards
                        Kobus

                        On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Steve Wan <stewan@...> wrote:

                        Hi Guys

                        Here's the video of a DIY lathe, not sure the base contains any filled
                        cement or at the headstock. Very impressive and easy to build.

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwmpFI1kDww

                        Steve Wan

                        On 7/2/13, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:
                        > On 07/01/2013 11:49 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
                        >> IMPORTANT (maybe!) last night it occurred to me that the answer was
                        >> staring me in the face. A wooden (or plastic) block like that used on
                        >> the thread follower could also be used on the cross slide instead of
                        >> the commonly used nut. A wooden block could average out the crossfeed
                        >> thread imperfections and it could remove most (or all) backlash. This
                        >> would seem pretty cool since I have never seen a cross slide without
                        >> considerable backlash.
                        >
                        > Actually, having seen CNC lathes before with ball screws, I have seen a
                        > few with under 0.0005" (yes 1/2 of a thousandth) backlash. It can be
                        > done, often is has been done but manually operated lathes where the
                        > cutting is only in one direction tend to be less needful of that
                        > embellishment.
                        >
                        > And many inaccurate lathes are both very precise and very repeatable,
                        > resulting in quite good work. A lathe with a straight bed and
                        > repeatable positioning can do incredible work with the right operator.

                        > "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the
                        > advice."
                        >
                        > Bill Cosby

                        > Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool
                        > construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.
                        > -------------Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Kobus Van der Walt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2013
                          Or just do what Pat said. Use gravity, available in abundance and free. And in any bearing nut there have to be play- otherwise it cant work.