Re: Drill Rod 1.25 inch Re: [multimachine] Building a lathe/IMPT

    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 12, 2013
      On 06/12/2013 01:53 AM, Chris Tofu wrote:
      > Dave not to be contentious but performing either is done more or less the same way. Maybe the difference ultimately lies in how much heat, how fast?
      > A guy once told me to put crs in a crock pot for, iirC, an hour or more. Maybe he was joking. But in any event is.there a way to carefully normalize crs w/o altering the metal (except of course to take warp out of it)?

      The problem with annealing is that the hardness goes away and wear is a
      real issue. You are correct in that the thermal profile vs. time is
      different (sorry, I am not THE metals guru), so I am not the person to
      get into real nitty gritty details.

      As I understand it, CRS has a work hardened surface and that is what
      limits wear, annealed it goes away, normalized it remains.

      Normalizing CRS will not take the warp out of it, it will remove
      stresses and limit further warping.

      Hope this helps.

      advice."

      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 13, 2013
        Thanks Bill
        I think that is the best place to start.

        Pat