Re: [multimachine] Re: babbitt feed nuts

    Message 1 of 4 , May 24 2:14 PM
      On 05/24/2013 02:34 PM, pokerbacken wrote:
      > uhm, about as strong as steel? Not the ones I have seen at work (heavy machinery).
      > True they are strong but still not as strong as the better bronze varieties and mild steel.
      > they DO work well as bearings and nuts though, it is easy to machine and have friction just slightly higher than bronze.

      Actually, 1018 steel (low carbon) runs a yield strength of 53,700 PSI.
      Zamac 2 runs about 52,000 PSI. Steel is stronger, but not by that much
      until you get to better grades. For example, 1144 runs about 100,000
      PSI, which is MUCH stronger.

      While C932 bearing bronze is 20,000 PSI, C863 is 66,700 PSI.

      So, while zinc alloys are close to mild steel (my initial assertion),
      other grades of steel and some bronzes are MUCH stronger (which supports
      your assertion from your experience in heavy machinery.)

      advice."