Re: [multimachine] Re: Newbie asks dumb question about using a small engine as a lathe headstock

    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2013
      On 05/18/2013 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:
      > Hi Gregg,
      > I'm just a tinkerer always working against the obstacle of little or no money. I had a similar idea only I was going to use the engine as the business end of a drill press. Also thought of taking the head off and letting the piston drive a power hacksaw.
      > Tim

      Tim,

      Using the piston to drive a power hacksaw is similar to the old PM
      filing machine from a refrigerator compressor. Best practice on a power
      hacksaw is to remove the blade from the work during the back stroke.
      The piston won't do that. What it WILL do is quickly cut the workpiece
      and the blade will dull SLIGHTLY more quickly than if it was removed
      from the work.

      On the plus side, it will work pretty well and be quite simple to do
      with a decent stroke length. You will need to get a slow enough drive
      to prevent overheating the blade and work, but that is pretty simple.
      All in all, it sounds like a plan, but how will you lubricate the main
      bearings at such low speed?

      advice."

      Bill Cosby
    • michael broadbent
      Message 2 of 11 , May 19, 2013
        In the past I have used the fuel pump of a car ,the old mechanical ones driven by an offset cam. The type I
        used had a priming lever fitted with a home made non return valve it worked well and delivered at slow speeds.
        Mike

        > I'm just a tinkerer always working against the obstacle of little or no money. I had a similar idea only I was going to use the engine as the business end of a drill press. Also thought of taking the head off and letting the piston drive a power hacksaw.
        > Tim

        Tim,

        Using the piston to drive a power hacksaw is similar to the old PM
        filing machine from a refrigerator compressor.  Best practice on a power
        hacksaw is to remove the blade from the work during the back stroke.
        The piston won't do that.  What it WILL do is quickly cut the workpiece
        and the blade will dull SLIGHTLY more quickly than if it was removed
        from the work.

        On the plus side, it will work pretty well and be quite simple to do
        with a decent stroke length.  You will need to get a slow enough drive
        to prevent overheating the blade and work, but that is pretty simple.
        All in all, it sounds like a plan, but how will you lubricate the main
        bearings at such low speed?

        advice."

        Bill Cosby

        ------------------------------------

        -------------
        We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

        Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
            multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • oldhermit
        Message 3 of 11 , May 19, 2013
          If I remember there was an article around 1963 on how to make 2 bench top saber saws. The stroke from one was provided by a small engine and the other by a refrigeration compressor.

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

          > On 05/18/2013 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:
          > > Hi Gregg,
          > > I'm just a tinkerer always working against the obstacle of little or no money. I had a similar idea only I was going to use the engine as the business end of a drill press. Also thought of taking the head off and letting the piston drive a power hacksaw.
          > > Tim
          >
          > Tim,
          >
          > Using the piston to drive a power hacksaw is similar to the old PM
          > filing machine from a refrigerator compressor. Best practice on a power
          > hacksaw is to remove the blade from the work during the back stroke.
          > The piston won't do that. What it WILL do is quickly cut the workpiece
          > and the blade will dull SLIGHTLY more quickly than if it was removed
          > from the work.
          >
          > On the plus side, it will work pretty well and be quite simple to do
          > with a decent stroke length. You will need to get a slow enough drive
          > to prevent overheating the blade and work, but that is pretty simple.
          > All in all, it sounds like a plan, but how will you lubricate the main
          > bearings at such low speed?

          > "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the
          > advice."
          >
          > Bill Cosby

        • john baird
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2013
            Hi, leave the engine complete, start it up, and use it as a self powered headstock.
            regards jb

            > around 1963 on how to make 2 bench top saber saws.  The
            > stroke from one was provided by a small engine and the other
            > by a refrigeration compressor.
            >
            > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com,
            > "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 05/18/2013 10:16 AM, Tim wrote:
            > > > Hi Gregg,
            > > > I'm just a tinkerer always working against the
            > obstacle of little or no money. I had a similar idea only I
            > was going to use the engine as the business end of a drill
            > press. Also thought of taking the head off and letting the
            > piston drive a power hacksaw.
            > > > Tim
            > >
            > > Tim,
            > >
            > > Using the piston to drive a power hacksaw is similar to
            > the old PM
            > > filing machine from a refrigerator compressor.
            > Best practice on a power
            > > hacksaw is to remove the blade from the work during the
            > back stroke.
            > > The piston won't do that.  What it WILL do is
            > quickly cut the workpiece
            > > and the blade will dull SLIGHTLY more quickly than if
            > it was removed
            > > from the work.
            > >
            > > On the plus side, it will work pretty well and be quite
            > simple to do
            > > with a decent stroke length.  You will need to get
            > a slow enough drive
            > > to prevent overheating the blade and work, but that is
            > pretty simple.
            > > All in all, it sounds like a plan, but how will you
            > lubricate the main
            > > bearings at such low speed?
            > >
            > > Dave  8{)
            > >
            > > --
            > >
            > > "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid
            > ones that need the
            > > advice."
            > >
            > > Bill Cosby

            > Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete
            > tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the
            > early 20th Century.
            > -------------Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >     multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Bungee
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2013
              Hello all.

              I am glad I posted here. The engine is a vertical shaft and would need to be mounted on its side on a frame. I never èven considered lubrication and just assumed it would work by splash like a horizontal. Need to put some more thought into that.

              I am reading on the concrete lathe and it is sounding really fun. And there is a bonus of getting a very useful tool at the end.

              The engine lathe idea is basically to complete some wood projects I have and to start a better lathe. I work for the US gov and have allot of furlough days coming before the end of the year. Need a project to occupy the time that won't get too expensive.

              Thanks for all the ideas,