Re: [multimachine] OT but did you ever want a tablet computer?

    Message 1 of 17 , May 12 8:28 PM
      Thanks Adam

      Would not have bought one if they had not unlocked it last week.

      Pat

      Message 2 of 17 , May 12 9:26 PM
        I have a couple of chinese cheap tablets, an ancient Pandigital novel I unlocked, and a nexus 10...  If I'd spent the money on a good tablet in the first place, I would probably have saved $300 overall.  On the other hand, after I get done carrying them around, they make a superb remote display mounted to a wall and running VNC to show information provided by a handy linux server somewhere...

        Message 3 of 17 , May 17 7:34 PM
          I got the Asus TF300t for 280$ (could have saved another 35$ if I waited 2-3 weeks). 10.1". I like to watch things on the big screen ;). I was looking at the HP Slate 7 just now as a backup, but it got panned in the reviews. And I don't care how it's reviewed, I'm getting the HP PRIME calculator as soon as it's released (autumn). Imagine a calc with a 400 MEGAHERTZ PROCESSOR. Watch the video ... it's coming down from heaven! Imagine a calculator made in heaven!!
        • Adam Simmons
          Message 4 of 17 , May 17 7:36 PM

            If it doesn't do RPN, it's useless to me.

            Message 5 of 17 , May 17 7:57 PM
              Heretic! Apostate! How could you not fall in love with it immediately??!! Such inconsequential little details!

              (I am sure it has RPN though). Are you using the 50g or something earlier, like a 41cx (chuckle)? Incidentally the only vintage HP I still want. I sold my 50g, not even sure why. Now I know why ... after my eyes have beheld ... the One :)
              ------------------------------

              Message 6 of 17 , May 17 8:53 PM
                I use my 48G & 42 on a daily basis -- the enter is in the right spot on both.  I just got one of the newer 35S's, which is pretty damned good.

                The Prime looks awesome, but the enter is in the wrong spot, so i'm not sure if i could adopt to it.

                Tablet-wise, i have a Asus TF700, which i love, but has IO issues.  The keyboard makes is awesome.  The TF300 is a very nice product, i'd take your guts and put it on my screen and be happy.

                Message 7 of 17 , May 17 9:24 PM
                  I've had 48's, beautiful, the slimness factor never seen before or after. Slow though. The 49g had a good feel also, rubber keys, was ok by me personally (Prime has the old hard keys I think though). Hated waiting for the stack to clear, uh 3-4 seconds - hello? 50g took care of that. Very nice. I almost resent the 50 being replaced I thought so highly of it.

                  Yeah, the Prime enter key was a howler. Life goes on. HP always has absolutely top notch cosmetic-designs, compared to flimsier duller TI's. How they made such a decision can't say. I'm absolutely itching for one though I must say.

                  Asus is ok I guess. Mine at least unresponsive here and there (touch). May have heat issues also. Haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Was looking at Zenithinks LOL before the sale.
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 17 11:52 PM

                    I run the droid48 emulator on both phone and tablet.

                  • Adam Simmons
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 20 3:58 PM
                      I actually use realcalc on my android devices, mostly for the conversion functions.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 20 9:43 PM

                        I should also mention that Marvin Klotz' machinist software utilities work under dosbox on my tablet...

                      • Chris Tofu
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 21 11:33 AM
                          Zounds dosbox for tablets! Android or ipad? Or both?
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 21 7:26 PM

                            Android.  Both my tablet and my phone...

                            On May 21, 2013 11:33 AM, "Chris Tofu" <rampaginggreenhulk@...> wrote:

                            Zounds dosbox for tablets! Android or ipad? Or both?

                          • GuyOnKauai
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 25 7:40 PM
                              I have android phone and two cheap tablets. I paid $2 for a RealCalc license. Cant remember the last time I pulled one of scientific calculators out now.

                              Gregg