Re: [multimachine] OT but did you ever want a tablet computer?

    Message 1 of 17 , May 12, 2013
      Could not afford this! It was disguised as a mother's day gift.
      Ends often hide as means in my house.
      It does include Google Play and even Amazon.

      Pat

        Message 3 of 17 , May 12, 2013
          Thanks Adam

          Would not have bought one if they had not unlocked it last week.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 17 , May 12, 2013
            I have a couple of chinese cheap tablets, an ancient Pandigital novel I unlocked, and a nexus 10...  If I'd spent the money on a good tablet in the first place, I would probably have saved $300 overall.  On the other hand, after I get done carrying them around, they make a superb remote display mounted to a wall and running VNC to show information provided by a handy linux server somewhere...

            Message 5 of 17 , May 17, 2013
              I got the Asus TF300t for 280$ (could have saved another 35$ if I waited 2-3 weeks). 10.1". I like to watch things on the big screen ;). I was looking at the HP Slate 7 just now as a backup, but it got panned in the reviews. And I don't care how it's reviewed, I'm getting the HP PRIME calculator as soon as it's released (autumn). Imagine a calc with a 400 MEGAHERTZ PROCESSOR. Watch the video ... it's coming down from heaven! Imagine a calculator made in heaven!!
            • Adam Simmons
              Message 6 of 17 , May 17, 2013

                If it doesn't do RPN, it's useless to me.

                Message 7 of 17 , May 17, 2013
                  Heretic! Apostate! How could you not fall in love with it immediately??!! Such inconsequential little details!

                  (I am sure it has RPN though). Are you using the 50g or something earlier, like a 41cx (chuckle)? Incidentally the only vintage HP I still want. I sold my 50g, not even sure why. Now I know why ... after my eyes have beheld ... the One :)
                  ------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 17, 2013
                    I use my 48G & 42 on a daily basis -- the enter is in the right spot on both.  I just got one of the newer 35S's, which is pretty damned good.

                    The Prime looks awesome, but the enter is in the wrong spot, so i'm not sure if i could adopt to it.

                    Tablet-wise, i have a Asus TF700, which i love, but has IO issues.  The keyboard makes is awesome.  The TF300 is a very nice product, i'd take your guts and put it on my screen and be happy.

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 17, 2013
                      I've had 48's, beautiful, the slimness factor never seen before or after. Slow though. The 49g had a good feel also, rubber keys, was ok by me personally (Prime has the old hard keys I think though). Hated waiting for the stack to clear, uh 3-4 seconds - hello? 50g took care of that. Very nice. I almost resent the 50 being replaced I thought so highly of it.

                      Yeah, the Prime enter key was a howler. Life goes on. HP always has absolutely top notch cosmetic-designs, compared to flimsier duller TI's. How they made such a decision can't say. I'm absolutely itching for one though I must say.

                      Asus is ok I guess. Mine at least unresponsive here and there (touch). May have heat issues also. Haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Was looking at Zenithinks LOL before the sale.
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 17, 2013

                        I run the droid48 emulator on both phone and tablet.

                      • Adam Simmons
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 20, 2013
                          I actually use realcalc on my android devices, mostly for the conversion functions.

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 20, 2013

                            I should also mention that Marvin Klotz' machinist software utilities work under dosbox on my tablet...

                          • Chris Tofu
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 21, 2013
                              Zounds dosbox for tablets! Android or ipad? Or both?
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 21, 2013

                                Android.  Both my tablet and my phone...

                                On May 21, 2013 11:33 AM, "Chris Tofu" <rampaginggreenhulk@...> wrote:

                                Zounds dosbox for tablets! Android or ipad? Or both?

                              • GuyOnKauai
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 25, 2013
                                  I have android phone and two cheap tablets. I paid $2 for a RealCalc license. Cant remember the last time I pulled one of scientific calculators out now.

                                  Gregg