Re: [multimachine] Jeremmy

  • michael broadbent
    Message 1 of 10 , May 10, 2013
      Hi Pat ,
                    Not sure it is insanity . When I was 9 in 1951 my farther took a teaching job in Oxford, because of
      the housing shortage he bought a old landing craft that had been converted to a house boat. We moored on
      the Thames near to a boat yard that ran steamers on the river. I made friends with the blacksmith named George,
      who made me a metal catapult which got both him and I in trouble with my mother. The yard got a contract making
      steel boats that sold in Canada like hot cakes. They were copies of the traditional canoe made in sheet steel. I bet
      who ever suggested this was thought a bit odd at the time.
               I have sent emails to a section of people that might be of assistance ,the include a couple of Thai boat builders
       plus a couple in USA  and one to Honda marine will let you know any results.
              I hope you have received good news on Jeremmy well being .

      Mike

      Message 2 of 10 , May 10, 2013
        Jeremmy must still be in the hospital. Either of those diseases is scarry but, this poor guy has both. I wish him well.
        Harold

        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2013
          Thank you Mike

          Nothing from Jeremmy, Last time he was in the hospital the only way he had to contact me was from a passing visitor's laptop.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 13, 2013
            Hi Pat ,
                        Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as some good information .

            Message 5 of 10 , May 13, 2013
              Great!

              Thanks Mike!

              Message 6 of 10 , May 13, 2013
                On 05/13/2013 06:56 AM, michael broadbent wrote:

                Hi Pat ,
                            Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as some good information .
                Mike

                What I find interesting is that the long tail does not provide any steering, only propulsion.  This means that if the shaft or guard hits an obstruction, there is little (if any) damage to it.  The rudders (in this case two of them) also will pivot if hit.

                Since Jeremmy will be in an area where damage due to such obstructions might be a severe disadvantage, such a drive system is a huge advantage.  Having a "spring throttle" (i.e. it goes to idle when released) will be a necessity, imagine being in the middle of the lake when an obstruction is hit, no damage to the vessel, but the operator falls overboard.  The boat stops rather than leaving him with a many mile swim to shore.

                "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

                Bill Cosby
              • greg123452003
                Message 7 of 10 , May 13, 2013
                  --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

                  > On 05/13/2013 06:56 AM, michael broadbent wrote:
                  > >

                  > > http://longtailboats.webs.com/
                  > > Hi Pat ,
                  > > Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as
                  > > some good information .
                  > > Mike
                  >
                  > What I find interesting is that the long tail does not provide any
                  > steering, only propulsion. This means that if the shaft or guard hits
                  > an obstruction, there is little (if any) damage to it. The rudders (in
                  > this case two of them) also will pivot if hit.
                  >
                  > Since Jeremmy will be in an area where damage due to such obstructions
                  > might be a severe disadvantage, such a drive system is a huge
                  > advantage. Having a "spring throttle" (i.e. it goes to idle when
                  > released) will be a necessity, imagine being in the middle of the lake
                  > when an obstruction is hit, no damage to the vessel, but the operator
                  > falls overboard. The boat stops rather than leaving him with a many
                  > mile swim to shore.
                  >
                  > Dave 8{)

                  You're comparing chalk to cheese. The videos show a cat not the usual single hull fishing boat. Totally different concept for a totally different purpose.
                • michael broadbent
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                    Hi
                          not sure who added the comment below, but as far as I am aware no comparison was made just comments on the ideas.

                    You're comparing chalk to cheese. The videos show a cat not the usual single hull fishing boat. Totally different concept for a totally different purpose.

                    As to comparing chalk to cheese with some of these modern ideas about cheese  the chalk is probable more healthier to eat .

                    Mike

                    > On 05/13/2013 06:56 AM, michael broadbent wrote:
                    > >

                    > > http://longtailboats.webs.com/
                    > > Hi Pat ,
                    > >            Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as
                    > > some good information .
                    > > Mike
                    >
                    > What I find interesting is that the long tail does not provide any
                    > steering, only propulsion.  This means that if the shaft or guard hits
                    > an obstruction, there is little (if any) damage to it.  The rudders (in
                    > this case two of them) also will pivot if hit.
                    >
                    > Since Jeremmy will be in an area where damage due to such obstructions
                    > might be a severe disadvantage, such a drive system is a huge
                    > advantage.  Having a "spring throttle" (i.e. it goes to idle when
                    > released) will be a necessity, imagine being in the middle of the lake
                    > when an obstruction is hit, no damage to the vessel, but the operator
                    > falls overboard.  The boat stops rather than leaving him with a many
                    > mile swim to shore.
                    >
                    > Dave  8{)

                    You're comparing chalk to cheese. The videos show a cat not the usual single hull fishing boat. Totally different concept for a totally different purpose.

                    ------------------------------------

                    -------------
                    We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

                    Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)