Re: [multimachine] Jeremmy

    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2013
      Thanks Harold
      Heard from him twice in the last 3 weeks, usually email back and forth several times a day. Having typhoid AND malaria in a rural Kenyan hospital is very scary stuff. This is tearing me up because he is SO smart and such a good guy.

      But...at my age I cannot afford to have all my eggs in one basket so I have multiple fallbacks starting up.

      The boat power thing smells of my usual insanity but just think of the possible implications. Only 6% of the boats on lake Victoria are powered yet it is a major source of protein for 30 million people. Long tail boats have not made the transition from Asia, yet with a lathe, welder (one in town) and a way to cast propellers, everything else needed to build them are available there.

      5/8" (about) shaft
      1" water pipe
      pillow blocks or flange bearings (Jeremmy already uses them for grinders, wood lathe and sander)

      pat

      Message 2 of 10 , May 10, 2013
        Hi Pat ,
                      Not sure it is insanity . When I was 9 in 1951 my farther took a teaching job in Oxford, because of
        the housing shortage he bought a old landing craft that had been converted to a house boat. We moored on
        the Thames near to a boat yard that ran steamers on the river. I made friends with the blacksmith named George,
        who made me a metal catapult which got both him and I in trouble with my mother. The yard got a contract making
        steel boats that sold in Canada like hot cakes. They were copies of the traditional canoe made in sheet steel. I bet
        who ever suggested this was thought a bit odd at the time.
                 I have sent emails to a section of people that might be of assistance ,the include a couple of Thai boat builders
         plus a couple in USA  and one to Honda marine will let you know any results.
                I hope you have received good news on Jeremmy well being .

        Mike

          Jeremmy must still be in the hospital. Either of those diseases is scarry but, this poor guy has both. I wish him well.
          Harold

          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2013
            Thank you Mike

            Nothing from Jeremmy, Last time he was in the hospital the only way he had to contact me was from a passing visitor's laptop.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 13, 2013
              Hi Pat ,
                          Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as some good information .

              Message 6 of 10 , May 13, 2013
                Great!

                Thanks Mike!

                Message 7 of 10 , May 13, 2013
                  On 05/13/2013 06:56 AM, michael broadbent wrote:

                  Hi Pat ,
                              Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as some good information .
                  Mike

                  What I find interesting is that the long tail does not provide any steering, only propulsion.  This means that if the shaft or guard hits an obstruction, there is little (if any) damage to it.  The rudders (in this case two of them) also will pivot if hit.

                  Since Jeremmy will be in an area where damage due to such obstructions might be a severe disadvantage, such a drive system is a huge advantage.  Having a "spring throttle" (i.e. it goes to idle when released) will be a necessity, imagine being in the middle of the lake when an obstruction is hit, no damage to the vessel, but the operator falls overboard.  The boat stops rather than leaving him with a many mile swim to shore.

                  "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

                  Bill Cosby
                • greg123452003
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 13, 2013
                    --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

                    > On 05/13/2013 06:56 AM, michael broadbent wrote:
                    > >

                    > > http://longtailboats.webs.com/
                    > > Hi Pat ,
                    > > Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as
                    > > some good information .
                    > > Mike
                    >
                    > What I find interesting is that the long tail does not provide any
                    > steering, only propulsion. This means that if the shaft or guard hits
                    > an obstruction, there is little (if any) damage to it. The rudders (in
                    > this case two of them) also will pivot if hit.
                    >
                    > Since Jeremmy will be in an area where damage due to such obstructions
                    > might be a severe disadvantage, such a drive system is a huge
                    > advantage. Having a "spring throttle" (i.e. it goes to idle when
                    > released) will be a necessity, imagine being in the middle of the lake
                    > when an obstruction is hit, no damage to the vessel, but the operator
                    > falls overboard. The boat stops rather than leaving him with a many
                    > mile swim to shore.
                    >
                    > Dave 8{)

                    You're comparing chalk to cheese. The videos show a cat not the usual single hull fishing boat. Totally different concept for a totally different purpose.
                  • michael broadbent
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                      Hi
                            not sure who added the comment below, but as far as I am aware no comparison was made just comments on the ideas.

                      You're comparing chalk to cheese. The videos show a cat not the usual single hull fishing boat. Totally different concept for a totally different purpose.

                      As to comparing chalk to cheese with some of these modern ideas about cheese  the chalk is probable more healthier to eat .

                      Mike

                      > On 05/13/2013 06:56 AM, michael broadbent wrote:
                      > >

                      > > http://longtailboats.webs.com/
                      > > Hi Pat ,
                      > >            Interesting idea not sure it is suitable but the site as
                      > > some good information .
                      > > Mike
                      >
                      > What I find interesting is that the long tail does not provide any
                      > steering, only propulsion.  This means that if the shaft or guard hits
                      > an obstruction, there is little (if any) damage to it.  The rudders (in
                      > this case two of them) also will pivot if hit.
                      >
                      > Since Jeremmy will be in an area where damage due to such obstructions
                      > might be a severe disadvantage, such a drive system is a huge
                      > advantage.  Having a "spring throttle" (i.e. it goes to idle when
                      > released) will be a necessity, imagine being in the middle of the lake
                      > when an obstruction is hit, no damage to the vessel, but the operator
                      > falls overboard.  The boat stops rather than leaving him with a many
                      > mile swim to shore.
                      >
                      > Dave  8{)

                      You're comparing chalk to cheese. The videos show a cat not the usual single hull fishing boat. Totally different concept for a totally different purpose.

                      ------------------------------------

                      -------------
                      We have a sister site for files and pictures dedicated to concrete machine framed machine tools. You will find a great deal of information about concrete based machines and the inventor of the concrete frame lathe, Lucian Ingraham Yeomans. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Multimachine-Concrete-Machine-Tools/

                      Also visit the Joseph V. Romig group for even more concrete tool construction, shop notes, stories, and wisdom from the early 20th Century.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)