Re: [multimachine] Re: cooling concerns

  • michael broadbent
    Message 1 of 16 , May 9 7:38 AM
      While I agree with some of your remarks about knowing what one  as in mind for the end product
      I believe earlier posts  talked of a small motorbike engine I presumed rightly or wrongly 100 to 125cc.
      With that in mind limitations are  already in place as to size of vessel and the type of journeys and use.
               The problem you mention of weeds is already solved. I live in a 55foot narrow boat on part of the UK
      canal system .Prop fouling occurs both with weeds and rubbish and even discarded shopping trolleys.
      To free the prop there is a weed hatch which allows one to reach the prop from inside the boat.
            With the long tail the unit if fouled can be spun through 180 degree and the prop worked on from inside the
      boat or if the unit is small the whole unit can be lifted out to work on.
             My own thoughts are more to the materials available ,if I  require a bearing ,pipe and steel they are all within
      a 10 minute walk not so in other countries .Next is fabrication methods no good saying wield A to B if no wielding is available  or turn pipe to suit if a lathe is several days journey away. Having travelled a fair bit of the world I am intrigued to see how
      different people solve problems in different ways long may it continue.

      Cheers Mike

      Message 2 of 16 , May 9 11:03 AM
        On 05/09/2013 04:20 AM, greg123452003 wrote:
        > However these are air-cooled motorcycle engines NOT fan-force cooled engines like lawnmowers. These motorcycle engines WILL nip up and seize if there is not a sufficient flow of air over them. Sure a fan and shroud can be added if needed, but it would be very useful to know what is being designed. Without knowing the parameters of the most likely boat and the intended usage this is all wild speculation.

        Air cooled motor cycle engines idle at low load, at high speed there is
        lots of airflow, at low speed, not much. A boat will almost always be
        slow to speed up, hence my concern for additional cooling since the
        amount of time at slow speed will affect the engine temperature.

        advice."

        Bill Cosby
      • Adam Simmons
        Message 3 of 16 , May 9 11:08 AM
          I doubt it'll be an issue.  Most engines can take heat abuse for quite a while before there are issues.

          I've ran a junkyard assembled Chevy 350 (different pistons, different heads, different compression ratios) on a run stand with no load, and no coolant. WOT was controlled by a string with a spare piston on it. After 10 minutes, we started wondering how long it would run.  The RPM was controlled by valve float - roughly 6500.  After another 5, it started to have heating issues,  at around 20 it finally stopped.

          An engine designed to be air cooled would last much longer, even sitting still.