Re: [multimachine] Re: cw/ccw rotation help

    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2013
      The rotation problem I really have is about these small engines. I would really feel like a fool if I though up a cool way to adapt an engine to a boat only to find out that it turned the wrong way!

      Pat

      Message 2 of 21 , May 5, 2013
              can you suggest a site for sending pictures. I have tried a couple but without  success.
        Engine rotation as far as I know is always the same, what is different is which end of the crankshaft
        the drive is taken from. To show what I  mean take around object like a pencil look at one end and rotate
        it clockwise, whilst still rotating  turn the pencil along its length by 180 degree the other end is rotating anticlockwise.
        In the passed it was normal in UK to have chain drives on the left hand side mounted on the  ACW side of the engine
        but now bikes are built were the drive can be iether  side plus using gears between crankshaft and output shaft.
        I hope this is helpful.
        It really does not matter which way the engine drive rotates as propellers can be made both  CW or ACW

        mike

        --- In mailto:multimachine%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" mailto:Larry.Bentley@... wrote:

        > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
        >
        > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
        >
        > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
        >
        > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
        >
        > Larry

      • pokerbacken
        Message 3 of 21 , May 5, 2013
          one thing i come to think of, why not use the existing chain drive and just attach a sprocket to the shaft of the motor, that way it can be switched in minutes if it is discovered that it rotates wrong way, just rotate the motor 180 on the baseplate and propeller now goes right way.
          flipping the motor is different from flipping the propeller, by the way.
          Message 4 of 21 , May 5, 2013
            Been thinking about this also. It would take a pillow block or 2 but Jeremmy uses them on other tools so I know they are available. The second sprocket could be a m/c one that has been bushed and bored to fit the shaft. A huge advantage is that almost any small engine could be used. The engine would have to be offset but this should not be a big deal. Repairs should be simple, an important point on a lake 200 miles wide.

            Pat

            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2013
              Many thanks Mike
              Upload the pics to the photo section and stick them in the first folder (Cambodia boat pics) if you don't want to start a new one. Be sure to let us know where they are.

              Pat

              The rotation problem I really have is about these small engines. I would really feel like a fool if I though up a cool way to adapt an engine to a boat only to find out that it turned the wrong way!

              Pat

              I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

              SB

              On 5/4/2013 8:33 PM, oldhermit wrote:

              Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
              Harold

              --- In mailto:multimachine%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" mailto:Larry.Bentley@... wrote:

              > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
              >
              > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
              >
              > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
              >
              > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
              >
              > Larry

            • HB
              Message 6 of 21 , May 7, 2013
                Here's one setup to adapt a CCW motor to a CW propeller.

                http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/diy-marinizing/36541d1256447440-angle-engine-longtail-straight-shaft-mud-motor-1ajetski-078.jpg