Re: [multimachine] Re: cw/ccw rotation help

    Message 1 of 21 , May 2, 2013
      Hi Pierre
      Propeller are like threads,they act like the water is a soild mass.
      Think about a hut on a rod,if you turn the nut around and turn the direction
      remaines the same.
       Most props are not as effective in reverese as forward.

      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2013
        It's difficult for some of us, including me, to visualize things like that. Lefty lucy, righty tighty, are four of the most important words I ever learned. When I have to reach under something to spin a nut that tightens by going toward my head, instead of away, I still get confused.
        Harold

        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2013
          Hi Harold
          I am exactly the same way!

          Pat

          It's difficult for some of us, including me, to visualize things like that. Lefty lucy, righty tighty, are four of the most important words I ever learned. When I have to reach under something to spin a nut that tightens by going toward my head, instead of away, I still get confused.
          Harold

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@...> wrote:

          > Hi Pierre
          > Propeller are like threads,they act like the water is a soild mass.
          > Think about a hut on a rod,if you turn the nut around and turn the direction
          > remaines the same.
          >  Most props are not as effective in reverese as forward.
          >
          >  Keith
          >
          > Deep Run Portage
          > Back Shop
          > " The Lizard Works"

        • Larry Bentley
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2013

            With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule".  Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.

            This even works upside down.  I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn.  :-)

            Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.

            Thumbs up or down?  That is the question.

            Larry
          • oldhermit
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2013
              Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
              Harold

              --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" <Larry.Bentley@...> wrote:

              > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
              >
              > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
              >
              > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
              >
              > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
              >
              > Larry

            • twofouroh
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

                SB

                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                  The rotation problem I really have is about these small engines. I would really feel like a fool if I though up a cool way to adapt an engine to a boat only to find out that it turned the wrong way!

                  Pat

                  I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

                  SB

                  On 5/4/2013 8:33 PM, oldhermit wrote:

                  Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
                  Harold

                  --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" <Larry.Bentley@...> wrote:

                  > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                  >
                  > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                  >
                  > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                  >
                  > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                  >
                  > Larry

                • michael broadbent
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                          can you suggest a site for sending pictures. I have tried a couple but without  success.
                    Engine rotation as far as I know is always the same, what is different is which end of the crankshaft
                    the drive is taken from. To show what I  mean take around object like a pencil look at one end and rotate
                    it clockwise, whilst still rotating  turn the pencil along its length by 180 degree the other end is rotating anticlockwise.
                    In the passed it was normal in UK to have chain drives on the left hand side mounted on the  ACW side of the engine
                    but now bikes are built were the drive can be iether  side plus using gears between crankshaft and output shaft.
                    I hope this is helpful.
                    It really does not matter which way the engine drive rotates as propellers can be made both  CW or ACW

                    mike

                    --- In mailto:multimachine%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" mailto:Larry.Bentley@... wrote:

                    > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                    >
                    > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                    >
                    > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                    >
                    > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                    >
                    > Larry

                  • pokerbacken
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                      one thing i come to think of, why not use the existing chain drive and just attach a sprocket to the shaft of the motor, that way it can be switched in minutes if it is discovered that it rotates wrong way, just rotate the motor 180 on the baseplate and propeller now goes right way.
                      flipping the motor is different from flipping the propeller, by the way.
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                        Been thinking about this also. It would take a pillow block or 2 but Jeremmy uses them on other tools so I know they are available. The second sprocket could be a m/c one that has been bushed and bored to fit the shaft. A huge advantage is that almost any small engine could be used. The engine would have to be offset but this should not be a big deal. Repairs should be simple, an important point on a lake 200 miles wide.

                        Pat

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                          Many thanks Mike
                          Upload the pics to the photo section and stick them in the first folder (Cambodia boat pics) if you don't want to start a new one. Be sure to let us know where they are.

                          Pat

                          The rotation problem I really have is about these small engines. I would really feel like a fool if I though up a cool way to adapt an engine to a boat only to find out that it turned the wrong way!

                          Pat

                          I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

                          SB

                          On 5/4/2013 8:33 PM, oldhermit wrote:

                          Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
                          Harold

                          --- In mailto:multimachine%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" mailto:Larry.Bentley@... wrote:

                          > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                          >
                          > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                          >
                          > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                          >
                          > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                          >
                          > Larry

                        • HB
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 7, 2013
                            Here's one setup to adapt a CCW motor to a CW propeller.

                            http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/diy-marinizing/36541d1256447440-angle-engine-longtail-straight-shaft-mud-motor-1ajetski-078.jpg