cw/ccw rotation help

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 27 11:27 AM
      would the propellers at http://www.mud-skipper.com/propellers.html
      turn in the right direction for a motorcycle engine and transmission?
      brain not working today

      Pat
    • michael broadbent
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 27 1:02 PM
        Hi Pat.
                     I would assume the engine will be mounted so that the crank is length ways and could be connected to the prop shaft with a doughnut  coupling. As to the pitch and rotation and size of prop
        I would suggest getting suggestions from the site you posted.
            Still looking for some ideas for frame  but will be back on line Monday,

        barge

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 27 3:41 PM
          Those propellers are designed for CCW rotation for forward travel.
          Most motorcycle engines, if not all, also rotate counterclockwise

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 27 6:35 PM
            Thanks!
            One of those days I don't trust myself!
            For $15 bucks I can afford to send one to Jeremmy so that he could try to copy it .Really worried about him since if he is not sick, I hear from him every day.

            Pat

            Those propellers are designed for CCW rotation for forward travel.
            Most motorcycle engines, if not all, also rotate counterclockwise

            turn in the right direction for a motorcycle engine and transmission?
            brain not working today

            Pat

          • HB
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 27 11:06 PM
              Even if, for some rare luck, he comes up with a motorcycle engine that rotates clockwise, it's still possible to use it to propel a ccw propeller with the installation of a jack shaft coupled to the engine and turning it around to make the engine power shaft face forward of the boat. The resulting propeller shaft rotation would be counter clockwise.

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28 8:17 AM
                On 04/27/2013 09:35 PM, Pat Delany wrote:

                Thanks!
                One of those days I don't trust myself!
                For $15 bucks I can afford to send one to Jeremmy so that he could try to copy it .Really worried about him since if he is not sick, I hear from him every day.

                Pat

                Another point to consider, dual engine boats have counter rotation prop wheels.  Clearly both rotation direction props are available.

              • JC JOHNSON
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28 10:35 AM
                  > Re: cw/ccw rotation help
                  > Posted by: "Pat" rigmatch@... rigmatch
                  > Date: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am ((PDT))
                  >
                  > would the propellers at http://www.mud-skipper.com/propellers.html
                  > turn in the right direction for a motorcycle engine and
                  > transmission?
                  > brain not working today

                  Most would, but not all. For instance: A Honda Gold Wing would, but a
                  Honda VT1100C2 (Shadow Saber) would NOT. This was a major obstacle when I
                  triked my Saber, but I over came it.

                  Johnny in NC
                  .
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1, 2013
                    You could probably flip the prop around to change its direction of rotation....  Might have to bore it out and add something to lock it to the shaft.

                    On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM, JC JOHNSON <two-jays@...> wrote:

                    > Re: cw/ccw rotation help
                    > Posted by: "Pat" rigmatch@... rigmatch
                    > Date: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am ((PDT))

                    > would the propellers at http://www.mud-skipper.com/propellers.html
                    > turn in the right direction for a motorcycle engine and
                    > transmission?
                    > brain not working today

                    Most would, but not all. For instance: A Honda Gold Wing would, but a
                    Honda VT1100C2 (Shadow Saber) would NOT. This was a major obstacle when I
                    triked my Saber, but I over came it.

                    Johnny in NC
                    .

                  • pokerbacken
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 2, 2013
                      Uhm, if you flip a section of M12 allthread over does that change it from right hand thread to left hand thread? it does not work like that for me, not in props nor with bolts... I think you where tired and typing ahead of yourself.

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 2, 2013
                        Hi Pierre
                        Propeller are like threads,they act like the water is a soild mass.
                        Think about a hut on a rod,if you turn the nut around and turn the direction
                        remaines the same.
                         Most props are not as effective in reverese as forward.

                        You could probably flip the prop around to change its direction of rotation....  Might have to bore it out and add something to lock it to the shaft.
                        On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM, JC JOHNSON <two-jays@...> wrote:

                        > Re: cw/ccw rotation help
                        > Posted by: "Pat" mailto:rigmatch%40yahoo.com rigmatch
                        > Date: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am ((PDT))
                        > > would the propellers at http://www.mud-skipper.com/propellers.html > turn in the right direction for a motorcycle engine and > transmission? > brain not working today > > Pat >
                        Pat, Most would, but not all. For instance: A Honda Gold Wing would, but a Honda VT1100C2 (Shadow Saber) would NOT. This was a major obstacle when I triked my Saber, but I over came it. Johnny in NC .
                      • oldhermit
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                          It's difficult for some of us, including me, to visualize things like that. Lefty lucy, righty tighty, are four of the most important words I ever learned. When I have to reach under something to spin a nut that tightens by going toward my head, instead of away, I still get confused.
                          Harold

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                            Hi Harold
                            I am exactly the same way!

                            Pat

                            It's difficult for some of us, including me, to visualize things like that. Lefty lucy, righty tighty, are four of the most important words I ever learned. When I have to reach under something to spin a nut that tightens by going toward my head, instead of away, I still get confused.
                            Harold

                            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Pierre
                            > Propeller are like threads,they act like the water is a soild mass.
                            > Think about a hut on a rod,if you turn the nut around and turn the direction
                            > remaines the same.
                            >  Most props are not as effective in reverese as forward.
                            >
                            >  Keith
                            >
                            > Deep Run Portage
                            > Back Shop
                            > " The Lizard Works"

                          • Larry Bentley
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 4, 2013

                              With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule".  Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.

                              This even works upside down.  I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn.  :-)

                              Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.

                              Thumbs up or down?  That is the question.

                              Larry
                            • oldhermit
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                                Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
                                Harold

                                --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" <Larry.Bentley@...> wrote:

                                > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                                >
                                > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                                >
                                > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                                >
                                > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                                >
                                > Larry

                              • twofouroh
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                                  I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

                                  SB

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 4, 2013
                                    The rotation problem I really have is about these small engines. I would really feel like a fool if I though up a cool way to adapt an engine to a boat only to find out that it turned the wrong way!

                                    Pat

                                    I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

                                    SB

                                    On 5/4/2013 8:33 PM, oldhermit wrote:

                                    Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
                                    Harold

                                    --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" <Larry.Bentley@...> wrote:

                                    > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                                    >
                                    > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                                    >
                                    > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                                    >
                                    > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                                    >
                                    > Larry

                                  • michael broadbent
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                                            can you suggest a site for sending pictures. I have tried a couple but without  success.
                                      Engine rotation as far as I know is always the same, what is different is which end of the crankshaft
                                      the drive is taken from. To show what I  mean take around object like a pencil look at one end and rotate
                                      it clockwise, whilst still rotating  turn the pencil along its length by 180 degree the other end is rotating anticlockwise.
                                      In the passed it was normal in UK to have chain drives on the left hand side mounted on the  ACW side of the engine
                                      but now bikes are built were the drive can be iether  side plus using gears between crankshaft and output shaft.
                                      I hope this is helpful.
                                      It really does not matter which way the engine drive rotates as propellers can be made both  CW or ACW

                                      mike

                                      --- In mailto:multimachine%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" mailto:Larry.Bentley@... wrote:

                                      > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                                      >
                                      > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                                      >
                                      > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                                      >
                                      > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                                      >
                                      > Larry

                                    • pokerbacken
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                                        one thing i come to think of, why not use the existing chain drive and just attach a sprocket to the shaft of the motor, that way it can be switched in minutes if it is discovered that it rotates wrong way, just rotate the motor 180 on the baseplate and propeller now goes right way.
                                        flipping the motor is different from flipping the propeller, by the way.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                                          Been thinking about this also. It would take a pillow block or 2 but Jeremmy uses them on other tools so I know they are available. The second sprocket could be a m/c one that has been bushed and bored to fit the shaft. A huge advantage is that almost any small engine could be used. The engine would have to be offset but this should not be a big deal. Repairs should be simple, an important point on a lake 200 miles wide.

                                          Pat

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 5, 2013
                                            Many thanks Mike
                                            Upload the pics to the photo section and stick them in the first folder (Cambodia boat pics) if you don't want to start a new one. Be sure to let us know where they are.

                                            Pat

                                            The rotation problem I really have is about these small engines. I would really feel like a fool if I though up a cool way to adapt an engine to a boat only to find out that it turned the wrong way!

                                            Pat

                                            I should have trouble with that but I don't.  I thought about it, the reason why is I don't think about it going in or out of the work, I think of it going up or down, towards me or away.  Works the same no matter which side of the work it is on.  My problem is I usually notice the LHT marks right after I break the nut or bolt off.

                                            SB

                                            On 5/4/2013 8:33 PM, oldhermit wrote:

                                            Thanks, Larry. I'll give it a try. Maybe, Pat will too.
                                            Harold

                                            --- In mailto:multimachine%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bentley" mailto:Larry.Bentley@... wrote:

                                            > With threads, sometimes it is easier to think "right hand rule". Point the right hand thumb the direction you want the part to move, (bolt or nut - whatever you are turning) then those fingers curl the direction you need to turn.
                                            >
                                            > This even works upside down. I had someone ask about left handed folks and I said makes it even easier since we hold the wrench in the left hand and have the right one free to figure out which way to turn. :-)
                                            >
                                            > Yes, left hand threads work with the LEFT HAND.
                                            >
                                            > Thumbs up or down? That is the question.
                                            >
                                            > Larry

                                          • HB
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 7, 2013
                                              Here's one setup to adapt a CCW motor to a CW propeller.

                                              http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/diy-marinizing/36541d1256447440-angle-engine-longtail-straight-shaft-mud-motor-1ajetski-078.jpg