Re: [multimachine] Re: Research needed - Boat propulsion

  • michael broadbent
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hi ,
          I cannot see that using an air cooled engine would present any unsolvable problems I have seen small concrete mixers using small two stroke engines with very limited air flow for cooling.
            The types of long tails are built to serve different tasks the ones used to ferry motor bikes have a open front were a plank can be run out to let a bike be ridden on and off the boat. The locals are most amused if a "big Nose" tourist miss the plank but all help to rescue bike and rider. I  have so far avoided  that embarrassment.
             The fisher men use a boat with a high prow with a mounting point on a transom some two feet from the stern they seam to ride the waves okay.
        While in Ko lanta  I take always  ride down to Old Lanta  town were there is a small boat yard
      the last time i was there they were working on a boat which was double ended with a sharp low  bow and a transom pivot point at both ends .Not speaking Thia  but managing the best I could the idea was that the boat could be beached  then the engine moved to the other end so after re floating there was no need to turn the boat ,
          I wish who ever is doing this project the best of luck

      Barge

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
        THANKS for the wonderful response!!
        and thanks Harold for the kind words.

        Dave,

        I wonder about speed and airflow also. The only thing I can find out about speed is that a 6.5 hp Honda runs a common? size boat about 10 mph. Too many variables for me!

        Pat

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
          Hi Barge
          Any chance you could get pictures/drawings of the motorcycle engine/longtail adapter?

          Pat

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
            did you see the pitch on those racing props?