Re: Research needed - Boat propulsion

  • Charles Mitchard
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 25, 2013
    • pokerbacken
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
        work, uhm, yes,
        BUT (always that word), a boat designed for the pacific is actually suboptimal for even the Mediterranean, not to mention a fresh water lake, not by much but enough to affect mileage, loadbearing and top speed among other things.
        one reason for this is that the water has different density, another is that the swells and waves differ in wavelenght and steepness... but as you said most good designs will work decently.

        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, HB <scfpigs@...> wrote:

        > Any design that won't fit anything is not good.
        > A smart designer should always strive to make his work conform to what it is being designed for.
        > Any well thought-out design of a boat will work in Lake Victoria even if it's not of the traditional shape.
      • oldhermit
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
          Good finds, Charles. The bottom link indicates that they use 150cc motorcycle engines so, we know they'll work.
          Harold

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
            On 04/25/2013 03:55 PM, Pat Delany wrote:
            My question is this: If the motor was high enough to be in the airstream and had some added sheet metal to act as an airscoop, could it be kept cool enough to work?

            If you look at a lawn mower, the fan is pretty simple and mounts on the crankshaft.  The shrouding is not that complex.

            The real question is how cumbersome would it get.  If it needs a scoop 3 meters by 3 meters, it won't be very useful, if you look at the Thai racing boats, they run an air cooled 2 cycle engine with no additional cooling, but they run REALLY fast.  How fast will this boat need to go?

          • michael broadbent
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
              Hi ,
                  I cannot see that using an air cooled engine would present any unsolvable problems I have seen small concrete mixers using small two stroke engines with very limited air flow for cooling.
                    The types of long tails are built to serve different tasks the ones used to ferry motor bikes have a open front were a plank can be run out to let a bike be ridden on and off the boat. The locals are most amused if a "big Nose" tourist miss the plank but all help to rescue bike and rider. I  have so far avoided  that embarrassment.
                     The fisher men use a boat with a high prow with a mounting point on a transom some two feet from the stern they seam to ride the waves okay.
                While in Ko lanta  I take always  ride down to Old Lanta  town were there is a small boat yard
              the last time i was there they were working on a boat which was double ended with a sharp low  bow and a transom pivot point at both ends .Not speaking Thia  but managing the best I could the idea was that the boat could be beached  then the engine moved to the other end so after re floating there was no need to turn the boat ,
                  I wish who ever is doing this project the best of luck

              Barge

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
                THANKS for the wonderful response!!
                and thanks Harold for the kind words.

                Dave,

                I wonder about speed and airflow also. The only thing I can find out about speed is that a 6.5 hp Honda runs a common? size boat about 10 mph. Too many variables for me!

                Pat

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
                  Hi Barge
                  Any chance you could get pictures/drawings of the motorcycle engine/longtail adapter?

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 26, 2013
                    did you see the pitch on those racing props?