downloading rare content was Re: [multimachine] Jeremmy in Kenya has a problem

  • Chris Tofu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
      Download helper, for those that don't know about it, is an addon for Firefox. It makes it easy to save videos and whatnot.
    • chris green
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
        I have a copy of the book Pattern Making, by Ritchey, Monroe, Beese, and Hall. This is a manual printed in 1943 that was prepared for the wartime production effort in WW2 and published by The American Technical Library.

        I found 1 copy of it for sale in San Fransisco, listed on ABEbooks.com for $20, with a $20 shipping charge.

        http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Ritchey&kn=Monroe+Beese+Hall&sts=t&tn=Pattern+Making

        It is also available for download from the Internet Archives in several ebook formats, along with a number (106 hits)  of other books titled Pattern Making:
        A percentage of these will be for dress making, etc., so a narrower search should be for 'patternmaking, founding'
        http://archive.org/search.php?query=Pattern%20Making%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

        The James Ritchey book will be further down the above page.

        A companion book to go with Ritchey's is titled Forging Practice, by Carl G. Johnson, also 1943, and from the same publisher. This one has fading photos of really large power hammers, and so forth...

        Years ago I wondered if it were possible to use sugar or molasses, perhaps in concert with flour, as abinder to make a more rigid mold with green sand when casting. I googled for 'make casting sand, sugar' and much to my surprise the researchers at Oregon State U found this was a worthwhile practice. Here's their press release from a few years ago:

        http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2012/nov/sweet-new-approach-discovered-help-produce-metal-casting-parts-reduce-toxicity

        The benefit of this is that it seems to be less toxic than other chemical binding agents.

        There ae quite a few videos on YouTube (275 videos) about metalworking, including casting metal, etc, posted by Tubal Cain on his YT channel, if you want to check them out. He posts as Mrpete222

        http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222?feature=watch

        A good reference website to bookmark is The Engineering Toolbox:
        http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/

        One useful page for anyone making patterns for foundry work will be this one which lists the thermal expansion rate of various metals and alloys.
        http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-expansion-metals-d_859.html

        About 10-15 years ago I watched a show (maybe on PBS) about a guy in East Africa who collected large quantities of soda cans, melted them, and cast cooking pots to sell to people. At that time, he was running into problems collecting enough cans to keep doing this. :-(
        I really admire that guy for his initiative.

        Cheers,

        Chris Green.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
          This Engineering Toolbox add-on for SketchUp might be useful for folks using SketchUp: it's a 1.2 Mb download.

          http://sketchup.engineeringtoolbox.com/

          Cheers,

          Chris Green.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2013
            Thanks guys

            The backplate I have in mind is for a (my) 6" chuck and is a simple 6" x 6" cast cylinder that has a deep grove cut into it so that steel nuts can be used to attach the chuck..
            Attaching the chuck to the spindle could be to use 2 clamp bolts on each side or as simple as my favorite innovation, turning the spindle to the ID of an available piece of pipe, carving nut shaped holes over the ends of the clamp bolt holes, inserting nuts and driving on the pipe (with matching holes) to retain the nuts.

            The beautiful thing (I think) is that a wooden back plate could be made to machine the metal one.

            Drawing for this is at

            00 pulley/faceplate/hub  in the Photo section

            If you like this I hope you will remember it because I think it has a bunch of uses for people who have little to work with.

            Pat