Re: [multimachine] Time for a new project?

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
      On 03/24/2013 06:31 PM, Pat Delany wrote:

      The East Texas way of broaching keyways is to use a lathe boring bar.
      Pat

      On the other hand, this means that broaching can be eliminated from the list.

    • pokerbacken
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
        As for toolgrinder, I am working with a simple threadlepowered one.
        I plan on utilizing anglegrinder wheels, they are cheap and can take quite a bit of abuse without breaking.

        sadly progress just now is non existent, main reason is that my workshop is now under 1.5m of snow...

        I am aware that treadle power is not perfect but a basic grindingwheel can, with a few simple jigs, grind both drillbits, lathebits and other tools for not much money and little effort.
        when building this I actually use mainly wood and basic techniques and simple tools.
        I made the flywheel out of a log section axle was a piece of waterpipe and so on, the treadle frame was some leftover wood held together with wedged dowels or wedged mortice-tennon...
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
          Treadle powered tools can be an important part of a shop operating on a
          shoestring budget.

          --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.

          On 3/25/2013 12:41 PM, pokerbacken wrote:
          > I am aware that treadle power is not perfect
        • Heer Lorcan
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
            Hey Guys,

            love all the stuff that's goes around here.
            Especially the Doc about how to make a fully funcional multitool-machine.
            however, if we are beginning to create a new multitool-machine,
            could we at least incorporate a own free energy module?
            and maybe use RotoVerter principe from Hector Perrez for the tuning of electromotors?
            the primairy could be usefull when working off the grid, the latter to reduce electrical power need?
            don't know just saying :-)

            Lorcan

            --
            ShinSham
            DTL Heer Lorcan
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 25, 2013
              in india, even today, you get knife sharpners who lug around a frame mounted, modified cycle wheel (with the tyre removed). they go round house to house, sharpening knives and scissors.

              will try and take a picture and post it to the group.

              umashankar

              On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM, pokerbacken <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              As for toolgrinder, I am working with a simple threadlepowered one.
              I plan on utilizing anglegrinder wheels, they are cheap and can take quite a bit of abuse without breaking.

              sadly progress just now is non existent, main reason is that my workshop is now under 1.5m of snow...

              I am aware that treadle power is not perfect but a basic grindingwheel can, with a few simple jigs, grind both drillbits, lathebits and other tools for not much money and little effort.
              when building this I actually use mainly wood and basic techniques and simple tools.
              I made the flywheel out of a log section axle was a piece of waterpipe and so on, the treadle frame was some leftover wood held together with wedged dowels or wedged mortice-tennon...

            • Bruce Bellows
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
                Up to now the focus of this forum has been to enable people in third world countries to acquire the machinery and the skills to learn and produce mechanical parts themselves and to a great extent I feel Pat that with the assistance of other members of the group you have succeeded in that endevour. Having said that I also feel that taking on a CNC project would take this group in a direction 180 degrees from that focus. I don't see that as a bad thing, it is what it is. From my experience of a decade ago in the printing machinery industry many third world economies intentionally shunned printing presses with the automation because they couldn't work on them themselves and outside technicians are very expensive for them to bring in. For much the same reason a CNC project may not be of much interest to them even though the technology level has increased also.

                As for myself I'm very interested in a CNC project as we are planing to build one for our hobby shop in the coming year. The yahoo group DIY-CNC is also a good group for reference.

                Bruce Bellows

                On 3/24/2013 10:55 AM, Pat Delany wrote:
                I guess what I am looking for is a way to use steel plate and concrete to build a practical CNC lathe and/or mill frame.

                Pat