overhead belting for milling spindle

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013

      Several months ago we were speculating on designs for a grinder/miller
      spindle for a lathe. This one requires a second motor but the pulleys
      can be selected for the best speed. Don't bother to read it all, just
      scroll about half-way down the page for photos:

      http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1374.0

      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 18, 2013
        Many thanks Shannon. I Wonder if there is a way double these....

        Pat

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
          I have seen watchmaker lathes with a extra pulley that can be atached at rear of spindle, it is meant to provide power to a second spindle not unlike this.
          the threaded part of the spindle is also used to take, uhm, uncertain of name, direct translation from Swedish would be "division circles", they are used to give accurate spacing of gearteeth and similar.
          this arrangement is somewhat more reliable than dividing engine for pinion gears perhaps as small as 0.5mm diam, even a tiny backlash in such a gear is very bad for accuracy...

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
            Just as an aside, automotive multi-rib belts can be flipped inside out
            if you really need a flat belt. If that doesn't transmit enough torque,
            ribbed pulleys can be cut while running the belt inside out, then
            flipped back once they are installed.

            Another trick is to use automotive timing belts, inside out for flat
            drives, with timing pulleys for 1:1 or 2:1 ratios.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
              Sherline uses a toothed belt running in a pulley that has no teeth.  I've never had any problem with the belt slipping or stalling during normal lathe or milling operations with this setup.  They do not invert the belt, since the belt has sloped sides, and the pulley has a matching slope.  In practice, it is like a V-belt, but the teeth allow it to wrap around a smaller diameter pulley.

              On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:

              Just as an aside, automotive multi-rib belts can be flipped inside out
              if you really need a flat belt. If that doesn't transmit enough torque,
              ribbed pulleys can be cut while running the belt inside out, then
              flipped back once they are installed.

              Another trick is to use automotive timing belts, inside out for flat
              drives, with timing pulleys for 1:1 or 2:1 ratios.

              Dave 8{)

            • Bill Donohue
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013

                Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 22, 2013
                    The gogged V-belt is also capable of transmitting higher horsepower and runs with more tension then a standard V belt. The smallest sheave diameter for an AX belt is 2.2" pitch diameter and for a BX it's 4.0" PD.

                    Bruce Bellows